Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1981 Topps!!!

Gents,

Just thought I'd post this if you care to participate thanks!!

Stump, Bernie, Frank, and Jeff I'd like to know how your all coming along in your sets. What have you guys learned? Are you cracking unopened or just on pause? Any great run of cards waiting to go to psa awaiting a deal. I'm so fired up to see the first person whack this baby out I cant stand it! I know, why wouldn't have you did it yourself trust me if I had the jack I would've!!!

I really thought I wouldn't miss them well I do! I could almost tell you who has the best copy of everycard. I find myself looking at what I have left everyday saying what a set. I guess I get more jacked knowing I don't have to complete this bugger. We did set the standard pretty highimage

Guess I'd like to know what you guys are thinking. I took the pride and time scanning some of the favorites I have left for you guys thought you might like to see them.

Also anyone looking for a challenge this is it or at least I think it is these guys might chime in.

Gator

Comments

• Options
    Too bad that Bench is not in a PSA holder!
  • Options
    Gator

I have the rest of the set in raw twice over sleeved and ready for psa. I have sent in others first as my priorities have dictated other years. I have went thru 2 more rack cases a half case of cello's and the 5000 raw I had from my dealing days and feel I could be at 90% 9 or ten after submission. Some of these cards are just tough in that year. I will still pick away on ebay for the first half of 2004 and look to see my set complete near the end of the year. Thanks for all the help on this set in the past and we do miss you at the top of the set registry. I have to point crosshairs on something else. Good luck with your auctions.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    Matt

You know I'm drooling over Mr. Bench. He needs a home with his other Reds friends at my house....

Remember our deal. You need only send an email to reclaim the cards that I bought/borrowed for my 81 Reds Team Set. In fact, I have them separated to ensure that I do not get them mixed up with my original 81 Set. I will miss them, but I heard them talking the other day about their rightful owner....image
    I need that 69 Bench ASimage

• Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    image JeffVN's cards talk to him.

So how you feeling lately,Jeff?image

Even if they don't like you anymore and want to go back home just
    don't unload any rounds on them,making them look like that bulls eye scan you sent me.image
  • Options
    Rob

I'm good. The cards only talk when they think 'm not listening... image

No rounds will be expended. I need to save them for the range.

Shhhhh, I want people to think I'm a card geek. image
    I need that 69 Bench ASimage

• Options
    Stump,

Cant wait to see you make the big submission. Any cards off the top of your head that you just cant find? You are correct the cut off seem to be in the 90% area then it'll be a hair pulling or slow road ahead for most. Thanks for the kind words!

Jeff,

Yes they do talk to me I had a few dreams the other night. They were actually saying they liked you better because they didn't have to contend with the yanks or the tigersimage Seriously thanks for the offer but you earned them and I'm happy your happy. Now if you have any buddies in texas that goose or duck hunt then you might be able to take care of a buddy or sway me on mr. bench haha.

Now Mr. Bench he's crying to get out of the holder but he told me as of the moment he doesn't want to be pawned off for hunting equipment or shoes for my old lady. In another collectors eye wifes haircut (inside joke)image no seriously if and when he does cross you all will get a fair shot unless Mr Vaniel persuades me with some Texas hospitality.

Thanks to all and if you guys come across some yankees or tigers in high end fashion lmk and we can do a deal in your favor.

Thanks Gator
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Matt,

As you may know, I dumped all my savings into a 1940 Jackson PSA 7, so my progress on the 81's has stalled. I pick up a few on E-Bay, but will have to save up to make a bulk submission. Don't have too many unique cards that I need, but a bunch of nice dups that could be used in trade. I'll just keep plodding along and hope to finish in 2005.

Did you start working on the 86's yet?
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    My cards don't talk to me but my two cats do.
  • Options
    I'll be joining the chase of this set soon. Always been one of my favorites. Just acquired a vending case to get raw submissions. Anyone of you bust open vending, and what kinda luck did you have?

Jeff
  • Options
    Bernie,

Congrats on the card, I know you've been waiting for awhile. Well bulk submission is back in effect so I'll be submitting a few for you guys. As for the 86's thats on the lowdown but the submission leaves on monday, very small sub just to test the water. I will say they are tough to find in gator fashion you either find a pack with thats hot or waste a whole box looking.

40oz-

If you looking for a starter check out my auctions. 30 9's and 30 8's you might say you don't want 8's but I'm sure these guys will attest bernie forsure gator8's turn into 10's on occasion. Still 30 9's for less than grading will be a plus.

Gator
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    Nice cards...

POP 4

POP 3

POP 2
  • Options
    Gents,

The baines appears to be a legit 10. Pretty tough card usually filled with pink specks in the jersey and the signature black scribble in the bottom right corner. I've never seen a baines without one. If someones looking for the baines in 10 now is the time. Dimitri is holding the other one.

40oz,

Ive had limited sucess with vending if any. The boxes have a little lip in the bottom of the box that tend to ding up everycorner. The only way I see vending to be used is if you got the case from topps yourself and it hasn't been moved. Or its an exceptional clean case that hasn't been traveled but I still wouldn't hold my breath.

Gator