Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

question about american eagle set i got for christmas

i got a sae set in a dansco album for christmas and all the coins are nice and white.these coins where put in this album.i dont no much about these albums because i dont collect many coins. as i will add more coins to this set how good is this album in protecting these coins as i would like to keep them white looking.is this good enough . i would like to hear any good or bad things about this album. is there somthing else better or will this album do. thanks all responses would help.

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    They,re likely to tone over time in a Dansco album.

You might want to put them in a holder called Airtites. You can get them at any coin shop or online.
  • Options
    I like to use the black ring air-tites (spelling is correct). I can buy them 25 at a time off of ebay cheaper than my local coin dealer sells them for, including paying for the postage. I put all my eagles in these except for the proofs, which I keep with the boxes (as issued) from the mint. Iv'e never had any tone on me so far.

Travis

--------
    Howdy from Houston...

Can't keep my eyes
    from the circling skies
    Tongue tied and twisted
    Just an earthbound misfit,
    I

">my registry set

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Dansco albums. In fact, I bought one for my wife the other day. She has decided to collect American Eagles in BU and Proof.
    Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    thanks but i could use more pros and cons if possible
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    The Dansco's are my favorite albums. I have a dozen of them. I've never experienced any toning in over 20 years of storing coins in them.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    thanks for ur time john thats what iam looking for..any more thoughts
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>thanks for ur time john thats what iam looking for..any more thoughts >>

Unfortunately, I don't think what John said can be completely correct... LOTS of people here have experienced toning, especially on the .999 fine silver eagles. The important question is how John stored those albums. If someone does something differently than others, that doesn't mean you will get the same result--you must replicate his techniques.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    thanks i need more input please.image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Dansco is a great album. Store it in a cool dry place, don't slide the plastic slides over your coins too much, and you'll be fine. What more do you want to hear?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Off topic, sorry, but I didn't want to start a new thread over one question.

Please tell me what months, in 2004, that the proof sets are usually released for sale by the U.S. Mint

State quarter proofs (clad), complete clad proof set, and silver proof sets.

Thank you very much.
    Lightside
  • Options
    I may be wrong, but I sort of plan on Clad Proofs in early summer and Silver sets late summer, early fall.
  • Options
    I store my albums in a humidity-controlled safe. The more valuable ones are in a safe deposit box. I live in Boston, where the summers can be very humid, while the winters are very dry. The advice about not sliding the plastic too often is a good one - it can leave contact marks on the coins.

One point to consider here is that a collection of SAE's, regardless of how nice it looks, isn't enormously valuable: maybe somewhere around $200. I wouldn't store coins valued over $1000 in any sort of album, but then, I don't buy coins worth over $1000 if they're not slabbed. Some of my Dansco albums are 1. US type (with coins in XF to BU); 2. Ike Dollars; 3. Peace Dollars; 4. State Quarters with Proofs, etc.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    "I don't buy coins worth over $1000 if they're not slabbed."

I love it when I hear that. Too many horror stories over raw coins not turning out to be what the seller claimed.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    I love it when I hear that. Too many horror stories over raw coins not turning out to be what the seller claimed.

Take it from someone who learned the hard way. Education is indeed expensive.

We ARE watching you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file