Home U.S. Coin Forum

Clipped Planchet WL Half

I have a 1919-S Walker with a slight(maybe 4%) straight clip. I believe it to be a real clipped planchet and not a mutilated coin. It is only in VG to maybe F condition.
1. Would anyone pay a premium for such a piece?
2. If, for some reason, I were to send it to PCGS, would they list "Clipped Planchet" or "Straight clipped Planchet" on the slab?
3. Would it cost extra?
4. Would ANACS do it?
I collect circulated U.S. silver

Comments

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a 1919-S Walker with a slight(maybe 4%) straight clip. I believe it to be a real clipped planchet and not a mutilated coin. It is only in VG to maybe F condition. >>

If you have a picture, post it here or PM it to me, I would love to see it. In my experience about 75%-90% of "straight clips" from 1900 to 1940 or so are post-strike damage. I can usually tell from a good photo, or I can describe to you what to look for on the coin in excruciating detail. image

<< <i>1. Would anyone pay a premium for such a piece? >>

If genuine, absolutely.

<< <i>2. If, for some reason, I were to send it to PCGS, would they list "Clipped Planchet" or "Straight clipped Planchet" on the slab? >>

The ones I've seen list "x% Clipped Planchet", with "x%" calculated by weight.

<< <i>3. Would it cost extra? >>

You would have to send it in under the Mint Errors heading, which costs (I believe) $30.

<< <i>4. Would ANACS do it? >>

I have seen ANACS slabs with "STR CLIP" on the insert. I personally prefer ANACS over PCGS for certifying errors, for the simple reason they've been at it much longer.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file