Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My 1996 Kennedy's are toning

Is this pretty common? I picked these up at the bank earlier this year. I was hoping to find the mother load of silver other members seem to have the luck of finding. They were bank wrapped and I just did a quick check and into the tube they went. Well every now and then when a coin is mentioned on the board I usually think "Hey maybe I have one of those" and go and check the safe.
When i went through them the you can see what i saw. I'm assuming they were bagged for a couple of years, then wrapped. Some are actually starting to show blue hues and you can also see fabric marks.
So, When will i have that deep rainbow color, 2045? Or is the process pretty much stopped because they are out of the bag.

Tom

Comments

• Options
    I have a load of 64 Kennedy's in rolls that have been sitting around for 40 years and have no idea if they are toning.

I also have a few dozen in individual whitman paper envelopes, all of which have a little toning if you tilt them in the right light, but nothing spectacular. These have been in these same envelopes since 64, and really nothing has developed.

would I be off topic, if I mentinoed these are all for sale? image
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    Frank
    These and a few more were actually pulled from 2 rolls. I have 2 or 3 more rolls unopened.
    The bank is right down the block. You want a couple of rolls? I'm sure there's some there. I'll make sure there the 96's.
    I know it's been awhile since I picked these up bu i can't see the bank moving any.
    Made a mistake the bank at the corner didn't have them, I got them from their main about 10 minutes away. I might take a drive in the AM.

Tom
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    They were exposed to something prior to your acquisition of the coins. After a little exposure to air, whatever is on the coins has begun to react and materialize as toning.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file