Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need Advice

I need some advice on what six cards to send to PSA (free grading for these six cards). I have lots of Topps cards from 1978-1982 and 3 common cards from 1955 Topps (Bob Keegan, Milt Bolling, and Gus Zernial). One of those 3 cards is pretty well centered, while the other two are not. They are in pretty good shape, though.

I'm just wondering if I should send in those 3, along with 3 of the more recent cards (1980 Ricky Henderson, for example), or send in more recent cards that are in better shape. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Wait and send some vintage cards....look at the PSA prices for different submissions. I believe you can hold onto the 6 free submission for awhile. Wait until you have picked up some more vintage cards and send those in.
  • Options
    Dbj77, thanks for the reply, but I don't understand. Are you saying that I should wait to use my 6 free submissions? Or, should I send in my 3 1955 cards that I have now? Please let me know. Thanks.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

PSA charges more to grade stars than commons, and also more for vintage cards than modern,
    so, anytime you have free submissions, the best use of them is for vintage stars.
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    what wolfbear said is what I was trying to say.........I know you're probably excited to get your first cards graded, but hold off until you can use the 6 free submissions for cards that are normally expensive to grade. You can send 6 t206's in or 6 Pokemon cards, they really don't care but you don't want to waste the freebies on modern cards.
  • Options
    I too would wait til you get better vintage cards to send in. Unless the 55 Topps cards would get at least a 7 with no qualifiers - or they're low pop cards, you're better off waiting til you get better raw vintage cards. Better bang for your buck as far as the free subs are concerned.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like good advice to me, but the problem I think our friend might have is getting more vintage cards. I mean, where can he get them from? Every dealer has probably sent in any high grade vintage card by now. Also, how much about vintage does mgoldie1 know to prevent him from getting ripped off by unscrupulous dealers (there are a lot of trimmed, reprint and counterfeits in the vintage world).

I know there are vintage wax out there, but is it worth buying that and then submitting those cards to PSA. I guess it depends on how expensive a pack is. Some of you vintage experts can help in this arena of how mgoldie1 can successfully obtain high grade vintage.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Thanks for all your info. I will keep everything in mind. DeutscherGeist is correct in saying that it's tough to get good vintage cards that aren't graded yet. My hope was to find common players that are vintage with no grading, buy them for "cheap", and get them graded, hoping to get a good grade. Then, maybe sell them on ebay or another auction.

Or, should I just send in my "best" modern cards that I have and hope to get a high grade?

What do you think? Thanks.

Also, I didn't realize it cost more money for grading "stars" than "non stars"...what is PSA's definition of "star"?
  • Options
    What are you using PSA for? Your own collection or to make a profit? That's the best way to look at it. If you're like me, it's primarily for my own enjoyment but I do sell off my extras on ebay to help fund my purchases.

If you are going to just keep the cards you send in, then it doesn't really matter what you pick. If you are going to sell them on Ebay, then yes, you would do best with low pops commons....don't waste your time sending in low grade stars, it's not worth the time or money.