Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ike fans....does this look like a 72 T-II???

I can almost make the reverse out but I don't think this is a 72-P type II Ikeimage

Link

Comments

• Options
    I'm gonna agree with ya.
    I don't think so. South America and the West coast is to defined according to Sup's site and my own pics of mine.
    I'd go weak Type 3.

Tom
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    Looks Type 2 to me, but the print (thumb?) on the obverse arcing from 2:30-6:00 is a big turn-off for me image
    A couple of rim dings on the obverse AND the photo is at an angle.....reverse looks good ....50/50 shot at 64 maybe lower with the print.

Gandyjai
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I really couldn't tell it looked like there were islands of florida. But of course I haven't seen enough type II in hand to be a real expert yet.image
  • Options
    Usual caveats about photos, but... doesn't look like a Type 2 to me. Or MS64. image
  • Options
    AgflyerAgflyer Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    I don't have this 1972 Ike in hand yet, but I believe it to be a type 2. If it is, it's not a bad buy at under $5! image
    I've had great transactions with people like: drwstr123, CCC2010, AlanLastufka, Type2, Justlooking, zas107, StrikeOutXXX, 10point, 66Tbird, and many more!
  • Options
    Looks like a type II to me. I blew the pic up to see it better and it does in fact look like oneimage Lucky rat!
    I'll get me hands on one sooner or later....maybe more later than soonerimage
  • Options
    Sorry, I think that one's a Type 3 too.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Please use the scans to grade yourself. >>

You may safely ignore the above statement in the auction. And, this seller can't grade his way out of a wet paper bag.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    MSD61 - I'll have to get the software that will allow me to blow photos up. Keep up the search as it's a pretty neat Ike!

Tad - I've considered that it might be the type 3 because of the apparent "islands" below Florida. What I can't explain is what appears to be the outline of Europe next to Florida. Since the type 2 is the only one that shows this outline, I'm hoping for the best. . .

Russ - I've got my acetone out. The seller seems nice, but I don't want to remember them for their fingerprints image.
    I've had great transactions with people like: drwstr123, CCC2010, AlanLastufka, Type2, Justlooking, zas107, StrikeOutXXX, 10point, 66Tbird, and many more!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Agflyer,

Just so there's no confusion, I was referring to the auction that MSD61 linked. I don't have any experience with the seller in the auction you won.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Oops, I should probably pay more attention when I'm hijacking a thread. . . image
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry, I think that one's a Type 3 too. >>

After further review of the image I blew up supercoin is correct Agflyer. I am not seeing the incuse outlines around the continents as you would a type II. Your coin looks more like a type III. I am going by these images from supercoin's web page:

supercoin's link

As far as that other auction link I posted I doubt very much that is a type II.image
  • Options
    I'm starting to agree that neither of the coins in this thread are the type 2. Tad's pictures are a great reference. Oh well, if the type 2's were easy to find, searching for them wouldn't be nearly as fun! By the way MSD61, your 1972-d looks awesome!
  • Options
    thanks rick, outside of my proofs my 72-D is a pretty clean business strikeimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file