Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grades are in!!!! Do you agree with PCGS?

Got my grades from PCGS this morning. I can't say that I am dissapointed, with 5 MS64's and 2 MS63's, but I really think the grading gods could have granted me the pleasure of at least one 65!image Seriously, I feel most of the grades are pretty well spot on. I think realistically one could make the argument easily that two of the coins are 65's, but, lets face it, +/- one grade is always a point of contention to some extent. On that note, I've already started giving some thoughts to either cracking one or two out and sending them back into PCGS, or giving a couple of them a shot with NGC. That brings something to mind that I have been thinking about recently. I think we can all agree that certain grading companies are somewhat more liberal than others, and for that matter coins in the more liberal holders will return less in an auction. This makes perfect sense, but, does the reduced price actually reflect the reality of what the coin WOULD be if it were graded by the more conservative company (PCGS for example). Lets say that ANACS will grade a full grade higher than PCGS typically, and NGC something like a half grade. In the $5 indian from MS64 to MS65 there is about a $12,000 difference. Considering that many people buy based on the holder and not as much the coin, even if the ANACS holder would return $5000 less than the PCGS holder in MS65, it still makes sense to go with ANACS from a financial perspective if you plan to sell the coin if it would only grade 64 from PCGS. From a pure collecting perspective, the PCGS holder wins hands down, no question. Does it ever end? How many times has one of you sent in a single coin looking for that higher grade?
Anyone care to help me decide which might be worth a crackout shot at a 65? NGC or PCGS again? Others? I love this game!!!!!! image

1 21443395 1911 $5 USA MS63
1 21443396 1911 $5 USA MS64
2 21443397 1912 $5 USA MS64
3 21443398 1915 $5 USA MS64
4 21443399 1907 $10 Liberty USA MS63
5 21443400 1913 $10 USA MS64
5 21443401 1913 $10 USA MS64

Here is the link to my album with pics......thanks for all the help!

LINK-LINK-LINK

Comments

• MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I'll beat Russ too it, when were they received, type of service, ect...

BTW, nice grades! Not a AU58 in the bunch!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• MetaMeta Posts: 62 ✭✭

<< <i>I'll beat Russ too it, when were they received, type of service, ect...

BTW, nice grades! Not a AU58 in the bunch! >>

Thanks!!
    They were received on 12/18......express special $50. Its never fast enough for the impatient!!!

ttt
  • Not bad! I like the gold Indians.

I'd have to look at the coins to see if I thought any had a shot at a higher grade. I'm not so sure NGC is 1/2 a grade looser than PCGS for these coins, especially at the MS 63 level. If you do send any back to any company for another try please do post your results. I, for one, am always interested in hearing these things.

I've only sent my '07 Eagle in hoping for an upgrade once and they kept the grade the same. I think I will try it again. I know you can't compare Liberty Eagles with Saint Double Eagles but I just can't get over how much nicer my Lib in 64 is than any Saint in 65 I've seen in terms of marks and luster.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Good going Meta! I am very happy for you! Ms63 and Ms64 is a super grade for a $5 indian! The next jump in grade to 65 is a tough one to get because the coin goes up in value so much. ANACS has been grading gold harder than PCGS and NGC the last few years so don't expect no gifts and you might even be shocked when your coins come back a grade lower- I know I was. NGC seems to be so close to PCGS that I don't care any more except for the fact that PCGS coins bring a little more money. mike image
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats... good results. 65s are tough for bough $5 & $10 Indians

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

<< <i>Not bad! I like the gold Indians.

I'd have to look at the coins to see if I thought any had a shot at a higher grade. I'm not so sure NGC is 1/2 a grade looser than PCGS for these coins, especially at the MS 63 level. If you do send any back to any company for another try please do post your results. I, for one, am always interested in hearing these things.

I've only sent my '07 Eagle in hoping for an upgrade once and they kept the grade the same. I think I will try it again. I know you can't compare Liberty Eagles with Saint Double Eagles but I just can't get over how much nicer my Lib in 64 is than any Saint in 65 I've seen in terms of marks and luster. >>

I've noticed that too. Maybe its because I am very new to the game, but I would think that gold coins, regardless of whether they are Saints or Liberty, would be judged by the same standards. I was more than a bit perplexed, and am even more so now, that I have seen PLENTY of MS65 Saints in PCGS holders that are not as nice as a rather plain run-of-the-mill Liberty MS64's. $5 indians seem to be even more critically graded than either of them. How much a coin goes up in value in the next higher grade should not play a part in how it is graded. The market will adjust accordingly I would think.

Does anyone know the procedures they use in regrade submissions? Ideally I would think that they would cover up the current grade somehow when it is submitted so that the graders are not biased in any way by the grade that they gave previously. LINK-LINK-LINK------->

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file