Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Trying to get the yellow out of my pictures!

I'm a little bit color blind, (I see yellow as white) so I need your help.
I have been told this picture has a yellow glow.
imageimage

New pictures (same coin) with different camera settings. Is the yellow gone? Your help is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks,
Glenn
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Reduced, but not gone. Are you using the White Balance on your camera?-it gets rid of the yellow for me.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Do like Laurent said play around with the white balance.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Are you using the White Balance on your camera?-
    Yes on the seconded set of pictures. WOW, looking at pictures side by side, the difference is amazing.
    Glenn

Edit to add: Maybe I need to work on the lighting.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Try using a light blue background for the coins as opposed to a dark color-I've read in several places light blue is the best for coin photography. I also have better luck with reveal lightbulbs (good until I get OTT lights). Also try playing with the hue in your image program until it looks like the coin in hand.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Glenn I'm sorry for my last remark about the yellow colour of that coin. I thought that you collect coins, that have such a nice toning , that they got naturally, or because you prefer special varieties coins which made from some not typical alloys. Only that sense was in my last remark. I didn't think to critisize your photographs! imageimage

My apologies..

Edited to add: And may be it will seem you strange , but I prefer yellow toning for that coin, it looks very sweet in that toning..
    N. N.
  • Options
    If you can tryout Darkhorse's tip. Here is some copper I just shot using it.

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    NO don't worry Shipcoin, 5 people have told me, including my wife! (maybe I should listen to her) that some of my pic's are coming out yellow. Now looking @ them side by side I can see the difference.
    3rd try:
    imageimage
  • Options
    Here's a scanned farthing for color comparison. Of course, the difference between a scanner and camera can be huge. I used blue and red backgrounds to see if there would be any difference. The red seems to reflect more light onto the coin.
    imageimage
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    tlhoy -

What kind of camera are you using ? Many of the newer digital cameras also have a setting for the type of light you are using such as incandescent, fluorescent etc etc. Changing this setting will also change the hue of your pics. I had the same problem myself - played with the white balance but that didn't do it. But once I changed the type of light setting - presto - yellow hue gonzo !
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I've gotta testify to the white balance.. for some reason I didn't bother setting it until recently and when I finally noticed the difference is amazing! DEFINITELY check white balance if you haven't already