Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would any of the slabbing companies do this?

I was just wondering if any of the companies that certify the coins would authenticate coins without slabbing them. Say you had a coin for a raw set and you just wanted to make sure it was real but didn't want to risk damage to the coin by cracking it out of the slab.

Comments

• Yes, and try ANACS first!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    None that I know of. ICS maybe since they use a sealed flip for their slab.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, and try ANACS first! >>

ANACS slabs the coin... you might be able to request that they don't...

<< <i>None that I know of. ICS maybe since they use a sealed flip for their slab >>

DO they slab US coins?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    I think ICS does handle US coins. But they specialize in non-US from what I remember.

• Best bet is just to use the free service at one of the major shows and get an opinion from ANACS.

Ray
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought PCGS would authenticate a coin if that's all you want. Am I wrong?
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Beware verbal opinions. I once got an opinion from ANACS at a show, then submitted the coin to them for slabbing. It came back cast counterfeit (it was a 73-CC dime which frequently has a rough surface like a cast coin). I spoke with the grader about it and he said the weight and specific gravity were wrong - things they have the equipment to measure at their office but not at the shows.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file