Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

HOLY SMOKES! Is this how much one of these goes for?!?!

OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
Check out the price on this Christies CA Catalog!

I have this catalog in hardcover in mint, unread condition. Are these routinely fetching this kinda dough? Granted, I don't see many for sale, but WHOA!

Cheers,

Bob

Comments

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    That does sound like a lot of money! I keep teling people to hold onto these catalogs but most say they throw them out. mike
  • Options
    kinda looks like homie bought it back...no one in his right mind would pay that kinda money for a book that was released in the thousands.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Probably thought he was getting the gold bar in the picture. The literature dealers have a lot of problems with that. Offer a book/catalog and show the cover and one of the pages inside, then have to handle a lot of complaints from the buyer because the coins pictured in the book were not included. If you look at the numismatic leterature dealers ebay lots you will commonly see the disclaimer "Auction is for the book ONLY. No coins are included with this lot." And they still get complaints.

Also since it was a private auction he may have just shilled it to establish a price that can be pointed at when he has a friend sell the catalog later.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My own feeling about "private" auctions is they and their so-called results should be ignored.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    such cynics!!image there is always the possibility that the buyer wanted the information contained within the catalog and hadn't been able to find one, so he ponied up when he did. why do catalog collectors collect them, Bob??

al h.image
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect auction cats because it's probably the only way I'll ever even see some of the coins contained therein. I also use them for reference. I have two of the Christies catalogs for the SSCA Treasure auction, one hardcover and one paperback. Since ANY coin in the SSCA hoard is WAAAAAAY out of my reach I decided to put together a literal collection of SSCA items. I now have all the books and catalogs with the exception of a copy of the special edition Red Book, so my collection is nearly complete. Now if I could only find one that won't cost me the moon. image

I'm also collecting SS Brother Jonathan memorabilia as well.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these routinely fetching this kinda dough?

hey Bob

you may have just given at least part of the answer to your own question!! maybe not routinely, but probably to the right person, i mean collector.

al h.image
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    The paperback edition routinely sells for $20-25, the hardback one somewhat more -- perhaps $50-75. This price was nuts.

Read the fine print, and you'll see that Christie's hired Q. David Bowers and his staff at Bowers and Merena (back in the day) to write this catalogue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file