Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

A handful of hockey crossovers

I just received the grades on my 10-card Collectors Club invoice and was pretty pleased with the results. The V145-1's were all purchased raw and were graded just about as I had expected, maybe even a bit better.

The PSA 8 '53 Parkies of Kennedy and Godfrey were once a KSA 8.5 and 9.0, respectively, and the PSA 8 '53 Kelly was once an SGC 88 card. I was a little worried about the Kelly crossing over and thought the Godfrey at least had a prayer at a 9, so I guess it all evens out. The Kelly's a card I still need, so maybe it's a bit better than even for me.

The real shock for me is that the PSA 8 '57 Parkie Dollard St. Laurent once resided in an AGA 8 holder. I think AGA may be best known for grading Orr rookies of ill repute, but I took a chance a while back on a couple of relatively cheap AGA cards. One was an AGA 7 '53 Ted Lindsay that I wound up cracking out and selling as a raw ex-mt+ card after I purchased a PSA 8 copy of the card, and the other was this St. Laurent that I bought for like $10. I don't know that I'll make a habit of buying high-grade AGA cards, but it was nice to have a small hobby gamble pay off for a change.
imageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    steve, i want that St. Laurent if you're selling. send me a PM with the price and whatnot
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Steve - Nice grades on some tough vintage cards. When they arrive back to you, can you scan a William Patterson front & reverse for us non-Hockey purists to enjoy. Thanks...jay
  • Options
    Jay, here is a scan of the front of the Wm. Patterson cards (stolen from Steve's registry set)

• Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    Very nice card! I have no experience at all with pre 1950s hockey. They seem to be very neat cards.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Hey, Jay, the Patterson backs are pretty uneventful...

There are a few cards floating around from the set that have a redemption stamp of a leprechaun on the reverse. If you collected a complete set back in the day, you could turn the cards in for a prize. Because of that promotion, one of the cards (Bert Corbeau) is an insane short print so I'm not sure if I'll ever actually finish a set.

Also, Will, I'll e-mail you about the St. Laurent. Not sure if you're interested, but the '53 Parkies of Kennedy, a Hall of Famer, and Godfrey, a cool-looking horizontal card, are also available since I already have them in 8.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    GR & YAWIE - Thanks for the scans. The card looks pretty primative, almost like a mugshot, but at 80 years old, its neat!...jay
  • Options
    Yawie...congrats on your crossovers. I have got to be the only vintage hockey collector in San Antonio Texas it seems. Other than e-bay or through dealers....buying or trading at shows is virtually impossible. KSA does have a tendency to overgrade (even though they're pretty reputable at detecting trimmed/altered/counterfeit cards so it looks like you did well, especially with AGA.

The 53 Parkies are my favorite parkhurst set. Anytime you want to unload mid-grade vintage or 50s hockey, you can always feel welcome to email or PM me if you wish with your price.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Will's from Lubbock, I think, so I guess there are at least two vintage hockey collectors in Texas. It's really not that much better here in St. Louis where there's a modest hockey tradition - at least more so than Texas. At shows, I'll see stuff maybe back to '68-69, probably because that was the first set with the expansion Blues, but virtually no graded vintage and not much worth submitting, for that matter.

I didn't know you were a big '53 fan, grilloj. The PSA 6 Zeidel is an extra and I currently have extra 6's of #34 McCormack and #100 Quackenbush, but a guy who buys a lot of my extras (Tom Bourne/jackstropp on eBay) has the right of first refusal since I already e-mailed him about them. He's in Vegas right now and will probably be getting back with me shortly after the new year. If he passes, I'll let you know and I'll also keep you in mind in the future if I upgrade any cards or wind up with extras.
  • Options
    yep, i live in Lubbock TX, i've met maybe one other hockey collector within 200 miles of here. there are ties between Texas and hockey collecting though.....i recently bought a card from Steve Pottie (potts39 on ebay) and he asked if i had been to any Ice Bats or Cotton Kings (minor league hockey teams in TX), and told me that he used to play for the team in New Mexico. btw, i would recommend him if you collect vintage hockey. good seller and he has some great graded stuff.

STEVE- i really want that Teeder Kennedy '53.....it'll fit in my type set and my HOF set. pm me with an offer
  • Options
    Nice job Steve. I keep getting killed crossing over '33 Ice Kings.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    goodriddance189-Potts39 on ebay is the son of Len Pottie of Platinum Promotions who is probably the best dealer of vintage hockey cards in Canada. He has a great selection of graded and ungraded cards from C56 hockey to the early 1970's.
    grilloj-Why would you say KSA is good at detecting trimmed/altered counterfeit cards?
  • Options
    Hockey fans in Texas??? No way! *hids Ice Bats ticket stubs* image

Even though I'm a die hard baseball fan, I make it to one or two Ice Bats games a year. Tickets next to the glass are only like $18. I don't know the players or any guy not named Lemiuex or Gretzky, but a good minor league hockey game makes my week.

goodriddance-

Are you going to the Houston show next weekend?

Justin
    Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Tom,
    crossing what to what??
    SGC to PSA , or KSA to PSA.
    are you building a set or just messing around ?
  • Options
    qmayer-

houston show? when/where? im in austin right now, but i might drive down there if its at the brown convention center or some place big
  • Options
    goodriddance-

I'm in Austin too. Its a regional show at the Brown Convention Center. They're supposed to have a pretty good autograph lineup from what I hear. Its Jan 9-12 I think, whatever next weekend is. I'm going to try to go, but I'm moving back up to Georgetown for school that weekend. image

Justin
    Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM