Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Quiet week. New 1938-64 Jefferson Proof Set

I haven't had a lot of luck finding Mercs lately, so I decided to get my coin-buying "fix" with a set of 1938-1964 proof Jeffersons. All of the older dates were purchased years ago, so I just needed to fill in some gaps. It's not a bad set, debuting at #18, but there's room for some improvement. I particularly want to obtain the rest of the dates from the '50's in CAM, and possibly add a couple of '50's DCAM's. With new designs coming, demand for the "old" style nickels should increase.

I've included pictures of the coins through 1955, and will try to finish the other dates soon, but I find proofs difficult to photograph.

Here's a link to my set.

Jim
Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!

Comments

• Options
    Wow! nothing like starting with a bang! Thanks for the nice, large images. I particularly like the reverse contrast on the 1940imageimage The obverse contrast looks pretty good as wellimage Congratulations and good luck in the hunt for upgrades!
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    wow - nice debut - checked to see if I had any that you could use - nope, yours are same or higher
  • Options
    Hi Jim....Great set. I finally got bumped off the front page. I think that is a good thing....nice to see the series being so popular. It is a very nice looking 21 coin set. Like you said....a fun collecting "fix". The Nickel Triumph early Proof set is on ice...no updates or threat from me. I am quite happy with all the coins. Keep it up but watch out for that Ludlow guy image.

MUST BE THE SEASON FOR PICTURES
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    Welcome to a great series! I sure hope you are right and that interest picks up for Proof Jeffersons next year. I agree the new design has to help. I've got plenty of extras so please take a look at my website. I always try to help out fellow Proof Jeff Registry set builders image
  • Options
    Jim:

Welcome to the Jefferson series!! Good luck in the hunt for upgrades. Very nice photos!

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    Welcome, it's a fun series. I'm also working on upgrades so you'll have a little competition there.
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Jim:

Great start -- you have some very nice coins. Welcome to our little Jeff club -- great folks over here always willing to swap advice and coins. I think when I started my little set, there were perhaps 12 complete sets and that was 18 months ago. (And, your 1950 strikes me as a potential CAM if NCS could clear/clean up the mirrors...) Good luck to you and your collecting goals and never hesitate to call on one of your fellow Jeff proof collectors for help!

Kind regards,

Randy
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    What a terrific set, Jim! I especially like the '39 (nice mirrors), the reverses on the '51 and the '52, and that '55 and '56. A great accomplishment. It will be fun to watch this one rise!
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night