Home PSA Set Registry Forum

"The Set of All Sets"...

Has anyone seen this 1984 Donruss set in the PSA registry? I realize this is not a particularily difficult issue to find mint cards, but PSA's fickleness (is that a word) in distributing 10's makes this guys set among the most mind-boggling accomplishments I've come across. I'm sure he has acquired quite a few in large eBay runs from the likes of Joe Tuttle and others, but that's a whole lotta 10's. You can submit dozens of cards that are deserving of 10's and MAYBE you get ONE. Other days you submit what's left of your decent stuff--you know, the stuff you passed over "last time"-- and get a dozen 10's. The point is, with 10's being so unpredictable, building a whole set in that grade has really gotta be tough. Since 84 Donruss are virtually always spotless and pretty sharp, I guess centering must be the key...that is one really well-centered set!!! Browse it when you get a chance. It's pretty cool.

dgf

Comments

• RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Is the "late" Dommydoodle's set still up there?
  • I am curently working on the 84 donruss(#4 on the list), and have drooled over that particular set many times. No matter how easy anyone thinks this set is, it's still impressive. %55 percent complete, all ten's? Thats almost 400 cards, more cards then I have in my set in any grade.
    PSA needs to put 84 Ralstons on the registry (like I requested), so I can be #1 at somethingimage
  • PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

I began working on this set the same time as "The Set of all Sets" began his. We had some real stupid bidding wars on E-Bay, so I sent him an e-mail saying if he would buy my set, I would get out and not bid against him any longer. For some reason, he didn't want to do it privately, so I had to list it on E-Bay with a BIN at our specified price, and he immediately bought it. It was only a little more than 10% of the set (all PSA 10's), but it got the attention of some dealers. While on the phone with Joe Tuttle (jtcards), he made a point to bring the sale up. Hence, a big hike in submissions and E-Bay listings.

1984 Donruss are not that difficult to get 10's on. From my experience, if you send in 50 "possible 10's", you'll get 20+ PSA 10's regularly. Centering is the main issue, and if you buy sets, corner damage from the stupid shrink wrap. Overall, I'd say this set falls one step below 89 UD and 90 Leaf as the easiest popular modern set.

<< <i>Is the "late" Dommydoodle's set still up there? >>

RobE,

Yes, it still is, but unfortunately it's also listed in the current finest. Not to sound cold-hearted, but it's a shame that "current" set builders did not get recognized by the Registry awards.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Bernie,
    Yes, that sounds cold-hearted. You may want to re-think that one. Your observations are appreciated, however. 20 for 50...that's Ted Williams like. Not too shabby. Also, it is interesting how some guys refuse to deal off-line and then pay MORE money when you list. Absurd.

dgf
  • PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

I know it does sound cold-hearted, and I've gone back and forth for awhile. I believe it should keep its rightful place as #1 all-time, but maybe take it off the the current list. Again, I apologize if I'm coming across as a jerk. Not my intention.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.