Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

French Coin Re-Image & Some Digital Photography Tips

2»

Comments

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Welcome, Jim!!! We're delighted to have you over here ... showing off and all!!imageimageimageimage Those are some lovely coins ... you can just feel the Dark oozing out of them! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Great photos Jim! Welcome to the Darkside!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Nice work Jim and Welcome to the Dark Slide.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 1915 10 centime is also a mint state coin, but not nearly as sharply struck as Darkhorse's. Some of the lettering is so weak as to be illegible. Maybe quality control was not a big factor in 1915, since France was preoccupied with WWI.

imageimage

Another classic French coin of that era is the 1 Franc:

imageimage

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    do you think this pic. is good. it was taken with a QX3 digital blue micro-cam. what do you think.

ebay item #2214140892 nice close up pic.

thank you
    Dale Moore III image
    www.wornoutboots@yahoo.com

• Options
    Welcome to the Forum, Tipping! An interesting coin! I've never seen the word "of" in the legend so mislocated in a US coin before. Your photographs look nice and sharp, although there is a lot of color variance, tending toward purple. In which of your photos is the coin's color most realistically captured? I think I would also have included a full shot of the obv.
    Askari

• Options
    Link

Dale,

Very Nice image
    ANA Member R-213302
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    What Great Photos and quite an Educationimage
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt
  • Options
    LloydLloyd Posts: 887

<< <i>ttt >>

OMG I thought it was Xmas again !!!

L
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xmas all over:LOL.image
    Today was the first time I saw and read it,I dont travel to the dark side very oftenimage
    And thought it was worth a bump,great reading,and very educational.
    Al
  • Options
    great tips! I will try them! Very Helpful
  • Options
    bump this again
  • Options
    Let's ttt this one before it's lost to the archives! image
    Askari

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I quite agree, especially since I have the pleasure of looking at that French 10C whenever I want, having purchased it in Darkhorses's auction some time ago!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    This one disappears way too fast. TTT

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    This thread needs to be nailed to the yardarm of the darkside so it is permanently at the top.

Awesome images.

Dr J
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

You've got to be kidding me...

No color manipulation - straight from my camera and used the distort tools to correct the angle.

• Options
    Great method, huh, JZ ??? image
    It's perfect for toned coins !!!

My OmniCoin Collection
  • Options
    Yes,,, it's perfect.
    I'm off to Wallmart to get a couple of desk Lamps.

So much for the experiments I did a while ago with the 45-degree tilted glass...

-JZ
  • Options
    The lampshade trick is real easy.

Go to Walmart and buy a plain white lampshade (no pleats, no nothing, just a plain white lampshade). Go home. Remove the part that connects to either the light bulb or the light stand so that all you have left is the shade. Set the coin down and place the lampshade over the coin. Mount the camera either on a stand or tripod so that it is aimed at the coin thru the opening in the top of the shade. Shine 2-3 lights thru the side of the shade. Take picture. You will get the blackest mirrors and most beautful contrast pictures that you have ever seen - perfect way to take proofs that are DCAM - you don't get reflections from the lights because the light is perfectly difussed by the shade.

My thanks to the great Mad one for this technique!!!

(edit because I can't spell)
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    Thanks Cecil!
  • Options

<< <i>Where do you get these tungston bulbs?

Another colorful attempt

image >>

Holy crap that's a beutifull coin.
  • Options
    Heres be my favorite so far...
  • Options
    Whoa ... Prophet, that coin is awesome image

My OmniCoin Collection
  • Options
    Thank ya, i've been buying a local dealer out for about a month now, i've still got plenty more coins to go though before I grab up all the austrian and german stuff image
  • Options
    I took the folowing pic of a proof gold coin using the 'lampshade method' - tell me what you think:

Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    This needs to be bumped again image

My OmniCoin Collection
  • Options
    This technique is now property of Collectors Universe, any unauthorized utilization of said technique will result in legal action.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This technique is now property of Collectors Universe, any unauthorized utilization of said technique will result in legal action. >>

Now that Phil is a pro I'll bet he will sell this idea for about $45.image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Sell? No, I demand royalties.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i> This technique is now property of Collectors Universe, any unauthorized utilization of said technique will result in legal action. >>

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

I'm going to buy a 51% stake in CLCT and make you work for Canadian Bank Tokens..........abtF condition only!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>This technique is now property of Collectors Universe, any unauthorized utilization of said technique will result in legal action. >>

Come and get me image

My OmniCoin Collection
  • Options

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    TTT
  • Options
    TTT for coinpictures, etal.

Although Phil's original images are gone, you can pretty much glean what he was doing with the "Elliptical" technique.

In a nutshell, you will achieve excellent colour and better lustre with this than the 'angled glass' technique, at least in my experience.

The angled glass does lend itself to better depth of field, but flattens the lustre.

Of course, you will need correct white balance, lighting (OTTs are great), and positioning of lights, etc. In short, lots of practice.

Have fun, one and all.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I tried the concentric circles within squares method and then manipulating the perspective in Photoshop, but I found it it to be far too much work (IMO). I prefer doing the angled glass.

To each their own. imageimage
  • Options
    TTT for posterity.

This is missing the original images. Anyone do a 'print screen' of this at the time?
  • Options
    Thanks Mac, you're the bomb! Very interesting thread!image
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread! I wonder what happened to Darkhorse and Askari?

<< <i>Experimentation iz fun. >>

We could make this an official "Photoshop tips and tricks" thread for macro photography. I have a couple of books coming on the subject which can provide some additional information.

I found another trick to this abovementioned method, as well. This is pretty much the same as Darkhorse described, except you don't have to have "guides" pre-printed on the surface, on which the coin is positioned, but using guides option in Photoshop to outline the rectangle around the coin during editing. Once that's done, it's easy to select the coin itself with eliptical tool. Now, instead of free-transforming it - hit copy. When you do that, Photoshop remembers the dimentions of the copied area and when you go to File->New, it populates the dimentions of the file as parameters of the new file. Since the coin was shot at an angle, its' width is greater than it's height, so in the "New File" screen you'll have an option of, for example, width: 1100 and height 900. If you create the new file as a perfect square (change the height to 1100 to match the width) it becomes very easy to stretch the height to create the perfect circle. In fact, it's even easier if you have a "Snap To" option turned on for canvas edges.

• Options
    Great thread! I wonder what happened to Darkhorse and Askari?

Darkhorse is PCGS's imager extraordinaire (if things haven't changed recently) and Askari (boy do I miss him!) was/is a collector of Exonumia (primarily medals) but had a lot to say about coins and medals in general; both individuals very informative and at one point stalwarts of this forum.

Askari and Phil, won't you gentlemen at least say hello?!?image