Home U.S. Coin Forum

What do YOU do when you sell on ebay, say NO credit cards via paypal

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
and someone pays with credit card anyway?
And, you send them a polite email stating that the auction CLEARLY stated no credit cards via paypal, your account cannot accept them, and you wait a few days then they pay you AGAIN with a credit card?

The first time, paypal sent me email suggesting I "upgrade"....no thanks.
This second time, paypal just told me I had received payment, but I have to "accept" or "deny".

When I go to accept, paypal says I need to upgrade.

This will be the 2nd time denying this guy. You think he doesn't read his email or something? He knows he was denied obviously (since he resent payment).
What else do people do (aside from emailing the winner and denying payment)?

Ron

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time, after three times, and "finally getting it right," I got a check image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is soooo tempting to say learn to read dumb$hit aint it?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, because I accept credit cards through paypal.

Is saving the fees really worth all the aggravation you guys go through to not accept them?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it is tempting.....very very very tempting...but, I try to be understanding (at least at first).

Baley, good point except I also have friends/family that I send things to send me payment through paypal. These are 100% not auction related....I buy something I know they need and have it sent and they send through paypal because (a) they have funds there (b) it is easier for them (c) they want me to get it asap.

From my understanding, if I had upgraded, paypal would take its percentage cut no matter what. Last amount transferred was over $2500.
    So, I don't want paypal to take any cut of that...not fair to them, not fair to me.

On the auction stuff, you are right...so, if it was just that, then I would probably do it. But, not when I get non-auction funds sent to me.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have my no-credit-cards-thru-PayPal policy very explicitly stated in two places in my listings. When I do get them (and invariably, I get one every time I run a batch of auctions), I send a firm but polite email explaining why I had to refuse the payment and giving a list of other options. I also explain why I refuse to upgrade my PayPal account and lose fees on every transaction, even those which were free before. I've never had someone make the same mistake twice, but were it to happen I would probably forward my first email back to the person and give them one more try.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're doing right by not taking credit cards...don't let Paypal take your money...and they will on ALL transactions after you upgrade. For the dumba$$ who keeps paying with credit card...you can get his name address and phone number through ebay...call him and clarify over the phone.

• << <i>This will be the 2nd time denying this guy. You think he doesn't read his email or something? >>

He is what I like to refer to as a F.I.

<< <i>What else do people do (aside from emailing the winner and denying payment)? >>

My auctions state in bold red letters: checking account or existing balance funded PayPal accepted (credit or debit card funded PayPal NOT accepted) yet I have denied and notified the same person upto three times that credit card PayPal is not accepted, please pay by one of the terms listed in the auction. One bidder replied with "I have tried to pay you 3 times through pay pal. The dates 1st 10/21/2003, the 2nd 11/07/03 and the 3rd 11/14/2003. The amount was 12.45 dollas.the payment were denied. Thank you" He is getting a negative for stupidity on the 90th day. If a person can turn the computer on and find EBay, they should be able to follow simple directions. I pay PayPal once when listing an item, twice when selling the item, and they aren't getting paid a third time thru PayPal.

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the end of all my eBay auctions I state in capital letters that I do not accept PayPal payments from credit cards, and advise anyone who plans to pay that way to not bid at all.

I'd say that at least 10% of people try to pay via credit cards anyway.

I always deny the payment with PayPal, ignore PayPal's offer/advice that I upgrade my account, and then send an email to people pointing out what was very clearly written in my auction description. I've only had one person try to pay again with a credit card, and he immediately apologized for having had a senior moment.

Stick to your guns and don't upgrade your PayPal account.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Just deny the payment and speak slower in the explanation image
  • UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭
    While most of what is written above is correct, I suggest looking at this from a less hostile position. image

Most people IMO confuse ignorance with stupidity.

This person may simply not know how to make his payment a non-credit card payment.

I do not accept credit card payments through PayPal. The few times that a buyer tried to pay by credit card I simply e-mailed instructions on how to send a payment non-credit card (if they are set-up for that) or the buyer mailed me a check. Simple problem, simple solution. No need to jump off the deep end. image

Joe.
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Ask Russ, he loves credit cards through Paypal!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Somewhere in your PayPal preferences is the election to accept or deny credit cards. Change your preference.
  • Don't forget you can have more than one PayPal account ... one for cards one that isn't able to accept them. No need to make things hard on yourself or others.

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    Just quit selling on Ebay! There, problem solved!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • What do YOU do when you sell on ebay, say NO credit cards via paypal

YUP!
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • I sell very few items on Ebay, and when I decided to try Paypal I put it in the auction many times that I did not accept credit cards. I sent the same information in the "winning bidder" emails that I could accept Paypal, but only from a bank account or existing paypal balance. I've had 2 out of 4 winners try and send payment from a credit card.. Fortunately declining the payment with a polite email follow-up explaining how to send payment via Paypal not using the credit card, and my reasons for not accepting credit cards resulted in payment being sent in the correct form.

Some people are idiots who don't read their email. Many buyers are simply uneducated (as I once was) and do the right thing when prompted.
    Tim
  • Wouldn't have a problem if it was a debit card!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This person may simply not know how to make his payment a non-credit card payment. >>

Joe brings up a very valid point. Many times it's not that they don't read our instructions, (it says it FIVE TIMES in my auction listings), it's that their account is setup to pay using CC and they can't figure out how to change the payment method.

<< <i>Wouldn't have a problem if it was a debit card! >>

Debit cards are processed precisely the same way as credit cards so, yes, it is a problem.

Russ, NCNE

• << <i>Just quit selling on Ebay! There, problem solved! >>

Then they couldn't sit around here whining and complaining about how their stupid customers didn't jump through all the hoops that they put in the way simply to make it a whole lot more difficult to give them money!
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like payment defaults to a credit card as a source of funds if you do not have an adequate existing balance from which to draw funds. There is a little linky nearby to "other fund sources". Its surprising how little most PeePal-ers know about their PeePal account so its no wonder they get their payment methods screwed up.
    theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file