Home U.S. Coin Forum

A interesting 1864 pattern......

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purchased this from Rick Kay after the Baltimore ANA this summer. It was attributed by PCGS as a J355b. As noted by Snow, this is a bit of a garbage designation. The coin looked CN and had no hint of being partly aluminum. The reverse is off 10 degrees and I suspected it was a P426a/J356b. So, at the suggestion of Kay, I sent it in to NGC for SEM-EDX testing. Sure enough, it was a J356b and is now attributed as such. The new Judd book has this listed, the original Judd did not. Kay estimates it to be R7 rather than R8, as suggested in the new edition.

It's basically a CN 1864 with thinner planchet thickness, similar to the new bronze cent. It's been suggested that it is a mint error. That somehow some CN material was rolled to the wrong "thinness". I suspect more likely it was an experiment using CN to see what the new thinner coins would look and feel like, making it a true pattern. Barring any evidence to the contrary, that's what I choose to believe!image

I must say that NGC made it a most pleasant experience. PCGS refused to accept the coin. NGC accepted it gladly. I even received 2 calls from Rick Montgomery for the purpose of discussing the coins attributes. SInce I'm a very small numismatic fish, I suspect this was genuine first class customer service.
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.

Comments

• that is way cool - they did not do a very good job of seeing how it wears - it looks shiny new !
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Well...I ring up a big PLUS for NGC on this one. Nice coin. This is an example of service to the collector.

nankraut
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin looked CN and had no hint of being partly aluminum.

Tim - Do you know what a 10% aluminum coin looks like? It's not what most people would expect. My experience (after testing a few coins) is that 10% aluminum is a tiny bit on the green side. Admittedly, that doesn't make any sense, but that's the way these coins look to me. The point is only that looks can be deceiving.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was confident, I wouldn't have sent it in for SEM testing!image

Will bring it to FUN and let you have a look at it. I think you'll agree it doesn't look anything like a J353 or J355, least not the ones I've seen.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    Tim you sure come up with some neat coins. I am not surprised at the experience you had with NGC and its customer service either.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file