Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A question about resubmitting to PCGS

I've read the topic about the Liberty nickel on Ebay that was an old holder MS 64 but after cracking out became a MS 63 after resubmission. That's why I've never cracked anything out.

Instead, I have submitted coins in their original holders to PCGS. These include PCGS and NGC holders, where I crossed my fingers.

My question is that I've read here, a couple of times, that if you submit in a PCGS or NGC holder to PCGS, the worst you can do is keep your original grade. Is this true? If so, it would take a lot of anxiety out of the process.

I've had good luck in submissions in the original slab, although I have not done it very often. To date, I've done it on a dozen coins. None downgraded, eight kept their grades and four went up. All but one was a classic commem. The other was the attached Morgan. I submitted it as an NGC 63 and it came back a PCGS 64.

Thanks for your answer(s) to my questions!

Comments

• Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will only crack out an NGC coin if it will cross at that grade or higher. They will crack out PCGS coins, but it will at least remain at that grade.
  • Options
    Isn't it true that you can specify a minimum grade for any coin you submit...whether it be raw or a crossover...and if it doesn't make it, you get the coin back bagged or in original slab ??
  • Options
    I'll bet that toned Morgan looked real nice in the NGC holder, offset by the white core....
  • Options
    That is a pretty morgan! image
    Paul in Pine Hill
    ----------------------------------------
    My ebay auctions

• Options
    PCGS will only crack out an NGC coin if it will cross at that grade or higher. They will crack out PCGS coins, but it will at least remain at that grade.

I was told they'd crack it out regardless of the (-/+) grade at the behest of the submittor; otherwise, they will do as Rick stated when a coin is housed in another holder. Recently, I sent a 80-P 8/7 M.D. in a ANACS holder and expressed on the submission form to holder it regardless of the (-) grade it'll attain. Let's see if they do it...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't it true that you can specify a minimum grade for any coin you submit...whether it be raw or a crossover...and if it doesn't make it, you get the coin back bagged or in original slab ?? >>

Yes thats correct. Thats what the min grade column on the submission form is for.
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭✭
    I have submitted two coins for crossover in the last four months and stipulated a minimun grade. It didn't do much good since two of the coins were graded from MS65 to MS64. I have been trying to get this mess fixed for 2 months now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file