Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Gee BGS makes it very obvious they grade trimmed cards

Everyone knows these are non factory cut. And they all graded very high.

NESTLE BGS's 9.5's

I am tempted I admitt, but a fellow board member sold me his PSA 9 , BTW psa stopped grading these years ago.

James

Sorry about the typo's
x

Comments

• Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Gotta love the subgrade surface always being 1.5 to 2.0 below the others.

Centering 10
    Corners 9.5
    Edges 9.5
    Surface 8.0

Gee, I wonder if this is a card from a pack or a sheet?

Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    In the new (Feb. '04) Beckett Hockey Collector, there's a Readers Write question from someone asking about a price guide for uncut sheets. Part of BHC's response included the statement "Since the advent of third-party grading, some enterprising types have scooped up the few uncut sheets that are on the market and had them professionally cut in order to submit the cards in single form."

I thought that was a total cop-out response, at once acknowledging the practice while at the same time distancing BGS from the grading of sheet-cut cards. Is Beckett afraid of the fallout if they just admitted what everybody already knew was taking place?
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    SGC started grading these cards again -- and I personally believe that PSA should start grading these again. As they were only available originally in the uncut sheet form, and subsequently professionally cut by two major dealers -- I think that grading them is perfectly fine since all knowledgeable collectors should know their origin -- as long as they originally measure the correct size.

Heck -- I've cut Schmidt cards off of some beat up Hostess and Drakes panels lately -- and PSA grades those!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I've always thought that if the cards were available in cut form to the public, the cards cut from a sheet should not be graded (something like 1980 Topps), but if the cards were only available in sheet form, like Post Cereal, then collectors should be allowed to cut and grade the cards. BGS doesn't seem to care about any of this and will grade whatever makes them money - that becomes even more obvious with the crap grading services like BCCG and even BVG.