Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Who Reads the SMR Magazine Any More??????

Just curious....since I use the online version of the pop report and smr, I never look at the pop and smr information in the monthly magazine any more. Considering that these pages comprise 80% of the monthly magazine, isn't it a waste of space that could be devoted to more meaningful information, such as Registry Member and collector profiles ( I liked the one about the guy who collects sports board games), more autograph articles from Spence, industry/hobby news, articles like the recent ones from ACOWA and Marshall Fogel on sets from specific years, etc? I was looking at a 2 year old SMR the other day, and there was an article on a home run hitting contest in Florida, discussion of long ball hitters, and several other interesting articles.

What do you board members think? I only look at the print SMR information when I am at a show submitting cards. Is there a better way or should the magazine be discontinued all together? What if the printing savings were used to hire someone to update SMR pricing? Now that is an area in need of major work!!! That's my recommendation to Joe.

Thanks and have a great New Year's to all !!!!

AZ

Comments

• Options
    I agree. But we have beaten this topic to death.

Check these out:
    SMR
    Joe Orlando on SMR
    SMR thread I started months ago

Look back and you will see lots of people share your thoughts.
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Hubcap,

No doubt pricing needs major fix. I do use pricing and that is all I use it for and find no value in the rest of the publication.

Jim
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Can't read it if it never gets delivered.

My mailman must have a stack of SMR's at his house.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    I like the Boxing article Joe wrote.

Makes me think of the issue he centered it around.Boxing once was the biggest sport of all at one time.Then it was exposed for all it's corruption and took the back seat to other sports.

Sometimes with all the Steriods and other things about Baseball today makes me wonder if the sport is heading in the same direction.

I remember Pete Rose saying that if he gets back into baseball he want's to help maoe it America's # 1 Pastime sport again.

• Options
    Although it is a price guide, I generally do not use the SMR for pricing information.

To me, recent auction prices is the best information. Like everybody else here, I have seen card prices of certain sets fluctuate significantly on eBay, but generally do not see any change in SMR prices.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Boxing once was the biggest sport of all at one time >>

ROBE - According to Don King, it still is image ...jay
  • Options

<< <i>Can't read it if it never gets delivered.

My mailman must have a stack of SMR's at his house. >>

I was just thinking the same thing Bobs
  • Options
    <<I remember Pete Rose saying that if he gets back into baseball he want's to help maoe it America's # 1 Pastime sport again>>Text

I bet he doesn't.
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    He'll take that bet.

I enjoy the SMR articles about the big collectors (Branca, Fogel, Siegel) and the articles about the small collectors as well.
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    yes the SMR seems the same from month to month, but every time I get it, I get fired up and read it cover to cover. I really can't explain this phenomenon.