Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Any luck with SCD?

Have people had good or bad luck, crossing over cards graded by SCD?

I had heard some people say that they grade trimmed cards. Is that true? What can you share?

I'm not super concerned about crossing the cards over to a certain high grade, I just don't want to buy a SCD card that is trimmed.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    From my understanding, SCD will no longer be grading cards. I guess it wasn't a profitable venture for them. So Star cards will once again be left out in the cold.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    A bunch of SCD T207s just went off on ebay with seemingly strong results.

I have no direct experience, but I have not heard that SCD knowingly grades trimmed cards. That isn't to say they might not sneak into a slab. I can't speak to their ability to catch trim jobs. I have never seen any of the usual trim suspects offer SCD, so thats a good sign.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    I tried buying some SCD graded cards from Larry Fritsch with the purpose of cracking them out and sending them to PSA.

My experience wasnt too good.

I liked their holders and grading scale but it seemed that they were a little loose on the grades.

Most of the SCD 8 or 8.5 would come back as psa 7, but once in a while I would get a straight cross-over to a psa 8.

It just wasnt a good gamble.

I am not surprised that SCD would get out of the grading business, they should spend more time and effort working on their publication business and make their weekly paper better and leave the grading to the experts at PSA.

There is a reason that Mcdonalds and Burger King dont sell hot dogs isnt there?

Jim

Buyer and Seller of PSA graded Baseball Cards from 1900-1980.

Check out my ebay auctions listed under seller ID: jeej
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I thought the SCD results were very strong on their 2s and 3s, considering that their centering grades were so generous that some of those cards would get MC qualifiers from PSA. On the other hand, it's hard enough to find quantities of that set that people, even if they have no attachment to SCD, may not have been looking to crack out and submit to PSA.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>From my understanding, SCD will no longer be grading cards. I guess it wasn't a profitable venture for them. So Star cards will once again be left out in the cold. >>

Is this so? I thought their "11" had really taken the hobby by storm..
  • Options
    I crossed over several SCD cards
    to PSA. None of them were trimmed
    or altered, but all of them dropped
    2 grades in the crossover.

~jeff
    imageimage
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this so? I thought their "11" had really taken the hobby by storm.. >>

BEEFCAKE - I always liked the "untouched" card. Taken straight from a pack, set or box.
    Still to this day, I'm confused how that process worked. Say you sent in a '69 wax pack,
    so I guess the grader would open the pack and grade the cards with the "untouched"
    moniker. But say the cards are way oc or has other print defects. You now have a bunch
    of low grade cards w/ the "untouched" on the slab image ...jay
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is this so? I thought their "11" had really taken the hobby by storm.. >>

BEEFCAKE - I always liked the "untouched" card. Taken straight from a pack, set or box.
    Still to this day, I'm confused how that process worked. Say you sent in a '69 wax pack,
    so I guess the grader would open the pack and grade the cards with the "untouched"
    moniker. But say the cards are way oc or has other print defects. You now have a bunch
    of low grade cards w/ the "untouched" on the slab image ...jay >>

You got it exactly - when they first debuted the grading service (the "big announcement" at the 2001 Chicago Sportsfest) they had a whole bunch of dealers sit around and open up packs that Larry Fritsch had from the '70s, using cotten gloves. This way, all the cards would be untouched and they could holder them - and they did, some getting 6.0 "UT" notations.

I always wondered - what if you brought them a searched pack??

Seriously, I just breezed through this week's SCD (disappointing, because it used to provide 3 days worth of shredded paper for packing, now it's down to 1 day's worth) - they have a bunch of ads for their bat/game used authentication service, but NOTHING for cards.
  • Options
    There was a thread called "Board Opinions Of SCD" about two weeks ago. You ought to pull it up...it was a decent thread.

dgf
  • Options
    Here's the link DGF is talking about.
    Ken

Boards Opinion of SCD
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    What's the best way to crack SCD graded cards out of their holders? Theirs is a bit different from the PSA kind so any tips would be appreciated. I usually crack PSA holders with a screwdriver held on top of the card..then a couple taps with a hammer. That cracks the top seal and the holder then peels right off. Not sure if that works with SCD cards or not.