Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Why are these cards short??

First off, I am not accusing anybody of anything, but this was brought to my attention on a different thread, the one regarding who the biggest PSA submitter is.

Cadillac and Boggs pointed out something I had to check for myself. The cards they bought from DSL were visibly shorter than other cards of the same issue/player from other sources. I just checked to see what my cards from DSL were like. To my Horror, they were all shorter too. They all have fresh holders and the cards look very sharp and good, but they are just short. I am not just talking about the 1987 Donruss, which I know fully well that the factory editions are smaller and more likely to be mint than ones from wax pack. But a 1988 Fleer Glavine? Are the factory fleer cards also cut shorter than the wax version? How about the 1983 Topps Boggs. Is that card also shorter when pulled from the factory set?
I can believe DSL's source for raw cards being the same---probably all his supply comes out of factory sets where the condition is better than cards in regular wax. That part I can understand. But how come other sellers don't show this type of pattern. The only Boggs rookie that is short is from DSL. The others might be from regular wax I would have to assume. I am sure other sellers will use cards from factory sets as well, but I have not seen shorter cards from other sellers, except for the 1987 Donruss. All the 1987 Donruss graded by PSA I got from various sources are clearly from factory sets, except for one.

Now, I don't know what all this means, but being an 80's expert, I thought I have seen it all. I never cracked open a factory issued 1988 Fleer set to see if the cards are actually shorter than the regular wax ones.

Can anyone explain for certain what is going on. I mean, I don't want any platitudes or glib remarks, but some of you bigger collectors might shed more light on this I hope.

I doubt the cards are illegit, but my reservations are more along the lines of what Cadillac said in the previous thread. Why be stuck with shorter cards .....they just draw suspicion. If the hobby ever switched back to raw, then people will look at the shorter cards with suspicion (its better to be safe than sorry) and they would become devalued based on the perception they might be trimmed. We all know the power of perception. I decided not to buy from DSL anymore even though they are good businessmen, but I really don't care for shorter cards when I can get the longer ones from jtcards or other dealers. On a deeper level, I am in no rush to get any card anyway. I can take it easy in this hobby and simply enjoy what I already have.

The post is beginning to sound like a parody on "size does matter." I don't want to be cut short in this hobby.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Can you post some scans? I'm curious to see how "short" the cards are.

I'm almost afraid to say it, but is this the new way to WIWAG?
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a scanner, but I can tell you that they are 1/16 shorter than other cards. They have more play in the PSA holder. I guess you can check out DSL auctions right now and see that his cards have more play room than cards from other sellers. Its strange.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this WIWAG?
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • i've bought probably 50 psa 10s (give or take a few) from dsl sports, but haven't bought any from 88 so can't tell you they're short. the 87 donrusses i've bought are short- but that's true w/other 87 donruss psa 10s i have and is well known. however, the 84 and 85 topps psa 9s and 10s i bought from dsl aren't short- and neither are my 87 topps (i've heard some are short but haven't seen it personally).

briefly wiwag= when it was a game. scandal involving ebay sellers/psa 10s that weren't really psa 10s and ended in jail time. you can find out info by doing a google search.
  • Many 87 Topps were cut after market in large lots from uncut sheets - thus the size can vary slightly (large and small) from the 2.5" by 3.5".