Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

MANTLE never looked better?

Check the cut on the bottom of the '62 Mantle and check the border on the top of the '55 Bowman - these can't be trimmed if they are residing in a PRO holder? Now can they? ...jay
1962 Topps & 1955 Bowman GEM MINT cards

Comments

• VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    The shame is that collector grade cards are being ruined forever by that idiot.
  • jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Check my poll about the current state of trimming cards.
  • Reason why this guy is able to palm off trimmed cards is that unknowledgeable buyers pluck down hundreds of dollars on this stuff, simply because of that magic "10" on the slab. Heck, it can be a pain in the butte getting the a proper price on a "3" graded vintage card where only a handful are in existence, compared to a comparatively common modern card with that magic 10 on the slab.

There's plenty of PSA 5/6 Mantles out there, that's why they are so comparatively cheap. It's knowledgeable collectors who overpay large premiums for the 9's and 10's, which DO NOT look so much better than the 5/6's. I don't have a lot of sympathy for those who buy PRO graded material, after all, you make a purchase of $100+, you should know what you are getting.
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    The shame is that collector grade cards are being ruined forever by that idiot.

That is a perfect way to look at it. PSA 5's to many of us are EXCELLENT cards by definition.

Can anyone picture Geraldo Rivera having trimmed cards graded and then getting a 10 at PRO? Would make a nice special ...
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards

• << <i>Can anyone picture Geraldo Rivera having trimmed cards graded and then getting a 10 at PRO? Would make a nice special ... >>

Yeah - more great publicity for the hobby...about the only type we get...
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Jay, it's our old friend Gary Moser. He does so much trimming, he just got a barber's license in NY!
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • ok my question is, what IS the price you would pay for these cards knowing that you might get a trimmed card or at the very least a far over-graded example. there has been discussion before that even trimmed cards have value, right? so what about these? re,,member that you can crack them out of the pro holder. look at the cards and honestly confess. large card images.
  • I consider NM trimmed cards (and I mean a minor cut, not where half the borders are missing) to be worth a little less than a VG example. I'd say a VG '55 Bowman mantle is worth $250-300 full retail - I'd figure a sharp slightly trimmed Mantle worth about $200.
  • It may just be me
    but I would rather have
    the "real thing" even in a lower
    grade than a trimmed or altered
    version. To me it is no different
    than owning a counterfeit jordan rc
    or a reprint...
    it is just not the real thing!

so I would say I would pay 0 for them.
    (unelss I could get them really cheap
    and resell them to Beefcake for 200-300)

~jeff
    imageimage
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He does so much trimming, he just got a barber's license in NY! >>

FRANK, Now thats funny image Sad in many ways but funny nonetheless...jay
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Agree with Jeff: trimmed or altered cards have no real value.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Dont forget the double sign of a crook:

Private ID
    Private Bidders

Ebay does it again!
    Always wanting odd-ball Nolan Ryan's.
  • As a hoot, I emailed the dude to ask him why he has gone negative on feedback/bidders.

His Response:

"HI, I prefer that all transactions be kept private as I believe EVERYTHING should be on Ebay. If you look at ANY other large auction house (Sotheby's,Christie's,Mastronet, etc) you will find buyer annoynimity is a respected privacy. I wish all of Ebay were like that. If you click on my feedback you will see thousands of positive feedbacks.
    Best regards, Gerry"

And we all thought it was because it was trimmed!
    Always wanting odd-ball Nolan Ryan's.