Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS pop reports recognizing a few Kennedy DDO's.

I think the inclusion of the 64 DDO and TDO coins, along with the 74 DDO's is a positive step. It is a very limited step, but a positive one. Shouldn't the fact that 161 1974 Kennedy DDO's have been submitted indicate an interest in errors and some collector demand. Those few coins aside, does anyone have any indication which other JFK's are currently attributed?
Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Comments

• wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭
    I agree, but it would seem that ANACS is still the undisputed leader in variety/error recognition, followed by NGC. PCGS still has a long way to go in this realm.
  • Not to be too off subject, but how many 1974-D DDOs do you think there are?

I've found two, they are in poor condition but DDOs none the less. After finding my second one I got excited and did a google search on them and found out there is a man who has a whole roll of them and is trying to get them in every grade.

I'll trade both of mine for one in MS ....
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure. The 74-D is scarce, but not rare. Dr.Wiles figures it a URS-10 (251 to 500). I've got a nice 74-D in MS64, I'm fighting the same fight you are with the 73-D. The best I've been able to do is an AU-55.
  • GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    "Not to be too off subject, but how many 1974-D DDOs do you think there are?"

Not sure,....but maybe 5 or 6 in PCGS MS66....none in 67?
    I think there are 36 in PCGS MS65...(I've made 6 of those)image
    I would have to check my invoices,....but I've probably made close to 20 in MS64
    I did not find all of them.....about half came from other collectors.
    Sometimes, I'll even buy one already slabbed if the price is right.

Funny thing is.....I don't even collect those Kennedy coins!image
    I just happened to find them while looking for those elusive 74-P MS66 Ikes.....I have only made ONE of those so far!

'Still haven't found ANY Kennedy 73-D DDO's!!!image
    So I am assuming they are MUCH tougher to find than the 74-D DDO's.

I never heard of the 64 DDO's......Are those in P or D?image

Gandyjai
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The '74-D DDO half appears in mint sets so it is much easier to find. At least
    a few appear in BU rolls also. All '74 halfs are tough in high grade and this is
    especially true for the DDO.
    Tempus fugit.
    "Not to be too off subject, but how many 1974-D DDOs do you think there are?"

OK.....Here is a more accurate breakdown.....
    Pop 94 in PCGS MS64
    Pop 37 in MS65
    Pop 6 in MS66
    None higher

Can some one tell me about this 1964 DDO?
    Is it a P or a D Mint?
    Is this a "new" discovery?

Happy New Year!image
    Gandyjai
    Gandyjai,

There are examples of minor doubling for almost every year and MM, but the dramatically doubled coins are the ones recognized by the services. The coins recognized by the "Cherrypickers Guide" (F/S #'s - Fivaz/Stanton) are currently being attributed at NGC. ANACS uses Breen as well (perhaps more). Coneca also provides a useful masterlist online. For the Kennedy series in particular, I'd recommend Dr.Wiles "Kennedy Book". It lists hundreds of varieties with illustrations.

There are 64-P DDO's and DDR's, but the coin being attributed is the 64-D DDO. There are also 64 proof doubled and tripled obverses that are being attributed. The 66 SMS coins have also been attributed by PCGS. I haven't seen a 73-D in a PCGS holder. Dr.Wiles estimates the 73-D as a URS 6 (17 to 32) known. I submitted the only one NGC has holdered, and it is a lowly AU-55. I do however have a nice pic of my 64-D I hope you'll enjoy. It is a MS-66 tripled die obverse. The coin has great luster in hand. It's a pop one at NGC, and is two grades stronger than the nicest one holdered at PCGS thus far. Good hunting!

WOW!!!!!!! That's a LOT of info!image
    THANKS!
    GREAT pics tooimage
    I'm still waiting for my pre-paid Cherrypicker's Vol. 2............but I'll look into getting Dr. Wiles book. As many 73-78 Mint sets I go through, I might as well take a good gander at the Kennedy too!

It has paid off once already.......I found THE PCGS MS69 1976-S Silver in an $11 Mint Set I got from a dealer off of eBay. I know SO LITTLE about Kennedy grading, the darned thing sat in a pile of Mint set cut-outs on my dresser for 2 years before I finally got around to sending it in with a batch of Silver Ikes. Turned out, it was better than any Ike I ever (or probably WILL ever) make!
    THANKS AGAIN!

Gandyjai
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Don

with so much doubling ocurring on so many coins from so many years it would seem to me that it's some kind of a strike oddity rather than a hubbing or die sinking problem. i mean, why are there so many problems suddenly with a series where they aren't seen with others in the same era, unless of course there are just more coins available in pristine condition and more collectors who are searching them? my feeling is that with more recognition there will be higher pops, and with that a spiking and subsequent nosedive of prices for all but the very visible and dramatic DD's in the highest grades.

Jefferson nickels have many, many DD's and RPM's, almost similarly for every year if you care to look. the hobby has pretty much assigned a monetary value to a very small number and left the bulk with collector value. that'll probably happen with the Kennedy series. one thing both Jeffersons and Kennedys have in common aside from that is very strong prices at the current moment. i collect the former and am cherrypicking gems for submission from the latter. gotta transform them modern gems into classic gems, if you know what i mean!!image

al h.image
    Al, I'm in 100% agreement. Most of the common DD's are not worth any real premium. There are a handful of coins that are indeed very difficult, just like old Jeff. Most of the URS numbers are guestimates, and are stated as such. One of my 66's is a particularly uncommon die pair, and is listed as a URS-1. I know that to be inaccurate, as I own a second example.image I'd just like to see these pops fleshed out a little.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As to the 1974-D, I've found well over 100, all in Mint sets. Not a difficult coin to find if you look at a lot of '74 mint sets. Probably 1 in 10 contains the 1-O-I 50c.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As to the 1974-D, I've found well over 100, all in Mint sets. Not a difficult coin to find if you look at a lot of '74 mint sets. Probably 1 in 10 contains the 1-O-I 50c. >>

Wow! Is that the '74-D DDO listed in the Red Book?

I look at lots of mint sets and never find them at more than about 1:150.

What area do you live in?
    Tempus fugit.
    Hi Don,
    I visited the coneca site you suggested...First time for me......to look for 64-D DDO diagnostics......
    WOW!!!image
    That is a lot of DDO's.....16!!!image
    I was thinking there was only 1 or 2
    Does PCGS give a DDO designation to ANY of these DDO's or just the more popular one(s)?....like #s 003, 009, 011, 013?
    What a great reference source!!!
    I bookmarked it.....Thanks againimage

Gandyjai
  • DHeath: on that Coneca Master Half List what does the following mean:

1998-S
    Matte Proof
    ODV-009
    RDV-008

I know it is a 1998 s Matte Proof, but what is the 03, obverse...and reverse...?
    Gandyjai,

Based on the limited knowledge I have of PCGS attribution, they don't distinguish die variety, and would designate any of them that were pronounced enough as doubled. Sort of a blunt instrument. Perhaps someone from PCGS will provide a better explanation.

dlimb2,

318 = UVC (Universal Variety Code) is a Coneca numbering system for varieties within each series
    Date = 1998-S Matte Proof
    03 = DMR (Die Marriage Registry) A secondary Coneca number used to identify variety within a date/mm

ODV-009 Obverse Die Variety
    RDV-008 Reverse Die Variety

The 98-S is IMO really a Commem, but it is included in the series.image
  • Thank You DHeath, I was just wondering about that 98 Kennedy Matte if any DD had been found....and did not know what the meaning of all that was...I appreciate it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file