Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay bidding question???

Sometimes when you bid on a coin it prompts you to put your password in. Other times it does not, all you have to do is use the submit button. Why the difference? I have lost two coins when this has promted me to put my password in. This means you have to snipe coins a little earlier.

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    try signing in first.

you are not signed in if you need to enter your PW.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure you are signed in & if you have two or more windows open during a snipe attempt, make sure you are signed in on each window.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    On the sign-in screen, there is a little box you can check beneath your password to always keep yourself signed in on your computer unless you sign out or delete your cookies.
  • Options
    I check that box all the time and it still sometimes prompts me to sign in with the password.
  • Options
    when I run my disk defragmentor - it deletes most cookies and internet saved screens
  • Options
    It has been doing this same thing to me now for over two weeks. And, I'm always signed in! And, it has not been when putting in bids. Its when I try to do searches....Go figure....Ken
  • Options
    When I bid on ebay I have to enter password first time then I can bid without entering password for the rest of the session, then next seesion I have to enter password first time i bid. You can avoid this by signing in everytime before you bid or search.image
    Michael
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    sorry to change directions alittle but can i ask one?

how can you determine if some one is shill bidding on something your bidding on?

also, can the seller see your MAX bid and shill you right up to that amount even if no one else
    is, or would bid as high as your MAX bid?

• Options
    I have cliked that little box so many times, and it still prompts me to submit my password about every time I want to bid. Can't it remember anything?
  • Options
    also, can the seller see your MAX bid and shill you right up to that amount even if no one else
    is, or would bid as high as your MAX bid?

Yo purple haze - I assume that the hackers can see everything, but don't know about that stuff --- I have wondered the same myself. Any hacks out there would like to share info during this holiday season.

• Options

<< <i>sorry to change directions alittle but can i ask one?

how can you determine if some one is shill bidding on something your bidding on?

is, or would bid as high as your MAX bid? >>

Shill - No sure way to tell,but low/0 feedback - no won auctions - recent joining date, are all grounds
    to be suspicous.
    I suppose the better shills have had accounts for awhile and win auctions from others occasionally.
    They probably even win cheap items from themselves,to boost feedback and make themselves appear
    legit.

No one can see your max bid,unless they've busted into your account.
    JJ
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    A shill bidder can also be a friend of the seller. If the price isn't going high enough, the friend will put in a bid. It doesn't matter if he wins it because he won't have to buy it.
  • Options
    Regarding the sign in thing. For over a year I was automatically signed in on my home PC, I simply checked the box the first time and that was it

For the last several weeks now, I'm having the same issues, even if I don't end the session it will continue to ask for my password for a bid, a search, etc.

I just assumed it was something to do with eBay. I haven't cleared out any cookies, no change to the PC I almost always use with eBay.

I have to re enter my password dozens of times in a hour or so of searching and browsing. It's gotten to be very annoying, and yes, I always check the little box to keep me logged in.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    probably has to do with eBay's attempt at Homeland Security. image
  • Options
    Actually I do believe eBay is starting to require more sign-in as an increased security measure. Right now even if I am signed in, if I go to My eBay I still have to sign in again. They mentioned on their annoucement board awhile back that they plan on extending this to other areas.

There has been some speculation that they may be developing this as an anti-"sniping program" measure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file