Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1880s Morgan with fingerprint

anablepanablep Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
I received a Morgan 1880s in MS64 PL in an SEGS holder as a gift and it has a fingerprint in front of liberty's face. It is evident at certain angles, but a little distracting. Should I leave the coin in this holder (I've read about this service and their problems at this forum) or crack it out and attempt to use a Q-tip with acetone on the afflicted area? Will this affect the PL surface? Please don't tell me to sell it, it was a gift and the person means well. image
Thank you...
Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Comments

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Unless it's a fresh print you can't fix it yourself but that's hard for me to say without seeing it. Being that it's in a SEGs holder I'd gamble that somebody has already tried to fix it but using acetone won't harm the PL surfaces but scratching at it with a q-tip might leave hairlines.
    Very few coins can be sucessfully fixed.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the info. Even if I posted a picture, it would be very difficult for it to pick up the print what with the PL reflection...
    The other problem, if I try to dip it, is that the reverse has some nice toning that I want to keep, so I'd have to somehow only dip the obverse... yikes!
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    If someone gave me SEGS coin as a gift, I would crack it out right on their forehead.
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    An acetone dip wouldn't damage the toning, but the fingerprint is probably too old to do anything about.

I should know, I've tried to get old fingerprints off an Ike proof, and it was a complete waste of time. Too bad, because the proof was at least a 65.

We ARE watching you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file