Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for dealers on this forum

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let's say you are going to a major coin show that is 1000 miles away from your home base. You want to have a large inventory selection for the bourse. How do you get your coins to the show if you are flying? Obviously you can't put them in checked luggage, especially now that all luggage must be left unlocked. Carry on? Too many coins? Ship them ahead of time? If you drive to the show there isn't a problem. Really curious about the answer. Thanks.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    and also, please provide your route, car make and lincense plate number..... I'm really curious....

Don't worry about the Red and White two door 55 hardtop behind you...

heh heh.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    ajaan,
    i doubt dealer would openly discuss their security measures on an open forum. i wouldn't even discuss them with you unless i knew you on a personal basis. with nearly every major show a dealer becomes the victim of a burglary, theft or an occasional armed robbery.

as an aside, there is a pervasive attitude on the part of police agencies that these crimes are not worth pursuing. i've gone to bat in the past for a victimized dealer when the police shrugged their shoulders even when presented with evidence that the victim had gathered.

for the reasons above, and a few more, i find lucybop's comments utterly distasteful. the open forum is rife with ill advised comments. perhaps she should take it there.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't worry about the Red and White two door 55 hardtop behind you... >>

Yeah...don't worry. Old hunk of metal like that couldn't catch you anyway...imageimage
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for the reasons above, and a few more, i find lucybop's comments utterly distasteful. the open forum is rife with ill advised comments. perhaps she should take it there.

I suspect that Lucy was merely pointing out that silliness of this thread -- as if any dealer in his cotton-pickin' mind would discuss his personal security on an open forum! Anyhow, that is how I took her comments and found them reasonable with a touch of light humor.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    If you wish to take a large volume of coins, you have to drive.

However, you probably should reduce your inventory to only the most expensive ones that will fit in the one suitcase that you may carry on to an airplane with you.

I would never recommend sending coins in checked baggage..

Good luck at the show.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options

<< <i>ajaan,
    i doubt dealer would openly discuss their security measures on an open forum. i wouldn't even discuss them with you unless i knew you on a personal basis. with nearly every major show a dealer becomes the victim of a burglary, theft or an occasional armed robbery.

as an aside, there is a pervasive attitude on the part of police agencies that these crimes are not worth pursuing. i've gone to bat in the past for a victimized dealer when the police shrugged their shoulders even when presented with evidence that the victim had gathered.

for the reasons above, and a few more, i find lucybop's comments utterly distasteful. the open forum is rife with ill advised comments. perhaps she should take it there. >>

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Certainly no dealer is going to discuss in detail what his personal security procedures are, but that's not the question Ajaan posed. His question is more narrowly focused on the ins-and-outs of carrying coins onboard an aircraft under the tightened rules. This is more a matter of what one should expect to encounter and the advisability of and practical impacts related to going through security with a coin case that must be kept unlocked.

Frankly, this is a question anybody traveling to or from a show by air should be asking and there are certainly no better experts than the dealers on this board.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options

<< <i>for the reasons above, and a few more, i find lucybop's comments utterly distasteful. the open forum is rife with ill advised comments. perhaps she should take it there. >>

Well, JBSteven is already hiding from the 55 Chevy....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Most dealers will use next day priority mail or just drive to a show with a concealed firearm.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I am aware of some dealers that use registered mail, or insured priority mail. I suspect some dealer's insurance will cover coins even while in transit, so they may only insure for enough to drive signatures for delivery.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options

<< <i>JBSteven is already hiding from the 55 Chevy.... >>

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

When I drive this car I don't have to worry about a big old slow 55 Chevy

• Options
    heh heh......

your still on the run!!!!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    I doubt if you would have too many troubles carrying a carry-on with your more valuable stock or with checking through the lesser material as long as you make arrangements with the airline ahead of time and arrived early to have the baggage inspected privately and checked through away from the other passengers. The key is to make the arrangements ahead of time so they are expecting you and you aren't surprising them. Security is paid to be suspicious. They don't like surprises.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file