Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Slabbing advice for a raw collector

Slabbing advice for a raw collector

I am sure many of these questions have been covered before as separate issues but perhaps you would not mind giving me some advice on several of these subjects. If you were submitting coins to NGC for slabbing,

1.Would you advise sending in coins slabbed by others, or cracking them out first?
Will NGC just grade the coin as they see them without prejudice to the other grades?

2. Can you submit older green PCGS in their holders and ask NGC to look at an upgrade.

3. If you had a collection worth lots of money, say $100,000 up would you hand
deliver it.

4. If you have 150 plus coins to be slabbed all at one time can you have a meeting with
one of their professionals.

5. In the case of a bust halve collection can you requests that certain details be put on the
labels, Overton numbers, double profiling, rarity ratings etc.

6. If you wanted to start a registry listing, can you specify that? do they use different graders to do that?

7. Do any of you that collect your coins in slabs use Eagles slab books to keep your collections in?

Comments

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
      1- if you are a novice when it comes to the grading companies DO NOT crack them out unless you get some professional help unless of couse you are talking about inexpensive coins.
        2-yes you ccan specify that the coin only cross at a grade level you specify
          3- I never had that problem.
            4- it would not hurt to ask NGC/PCGS.
              5- not really sure what they put on the slab besides overton numbers?
                6- you can start your registry set yourself right now if you belong to the collectors society.
                  7- never used an eagle slab but I do use Capitol holders. mike
                • Options
                  You should join NGC and ask this question over there.
                • Options
                  DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
                  1.Would you advise sending in coins slabbed by others, or cracking them out first?
                  Will NGC just grade the coin as they see them without prejudice to the other grades?

Yes, I'd send them in their current holder, and IMO they grade them as they see them without prejudice, (some higher, some lower, some the same).

2. Can you submit older green PCGS in their holders and ask NGC to look at an upgrade.

Yes, just specify a "cross at" minimum, and if the coin qualifies, they'll cross it.

[3. If you had a collection worth lots of money, say $100,000 up would you hand
                  deliver it.

You bet, or I'd break up the shipment into smaller lots. That's too much to carry to a show. JMO

4. If you have 150 plus coins to be slabbed all at one time can you have a meeting with
                  one of their professionals.

I don't know, but my gut would be yes. Sometimes they even arrange tours.

5. In the case of a bust halve collection can you requests that certain details be put on the
                  labels, Overton numbers, double profiling, rarity ratings etc.

All I've seen are the Overton or F/S numbers with a brief discriptor like DDO.

6. If you wanted to start a registry listing, can you specify that? do they use different graders to do that?

Same graders, but yes, they'll image your coins for you or include them in your registry set on request.

7. Do any of you that collect your coins in slabs use Eagles slab books to keep your collections in?

Yes, although I'm still not sure there isn't a better way. I've come to like coin cabinets.
                  Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
                  and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
                • Options
                  Thanks for your advice.
                  I ordered the slab book below this morning just to try one. After having my collection in Dansco books for so long I just cant get use to the idea of having them in plastic boxes. A cabinet is a great idea, but I like to take books to shows at times to look for upgrades.
                • Options
                  nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1.Would you advise sending in coins slabbed by others, or cracking them out first?
                  Will NGC just grade the coin as they see them without prejudice to the other grades? >>

With NGC, I haven't heard the same level of whining about needing to crack out before submitting to receive the proper grade so I'll guess you'll be OK sending them as is. One thing to keep in mind, cracking a coin out yourself does carry some risk of damage to the coin. However, a grader cannot see the coin precisely the same way in a holder as raw so that could play a role in grading a "just made it" type of coin.

<< <i>2. Can you submit older green PCGS in their holders and ask NGC to look at an upgrade. >>

You can find some of these answers at http://www.ngccoin.com/faqs.htm

<< <i>3. If you had a collection worth lots of money, say $100,000 up would you hand
                  deliver it. >>

Like what Don said, I would partition it up. But if I wanted to submit it at the same time, then I would hand deliver it.

<< <i>4. If you have 150 plus coins to be slabbed all at one time can you have a meeting with
                  one of their professionals. >>

You'd need to call.

<< <i>5. In the case of a bust halve collection can you requests that certain details be put on the
                  labels, Overton numbers, double profiling, rarity ratings etc. >>

To some extent. You can pay for their VarietyPlus service which will add certain details to the slab. No custom information will go on there like rarity, though.

<< <i>6. If you wanted to start a registry listing, can you specify that? do they use different graders to do that? >>

Yes, they have an optional add-on service when you submit to automatically photograph your coins and place them in appropriate registries. Graders are the same. You can start a registry at any time, though. And registration for collector's society for registry sets is free like PCGS's.

<< <i>7. Do any of you that collect your coins in slabs use Eagles slab books to keep your collections in? >>

Not personally, no.
                • Options
                  BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
                  The advantage of submitting a coin raw is that it removes any bias which may exist about the current holder or the company which slabbed it. The downside is that if it fails to cross or upgrade then you will incur the cost of reslabbing and there is no guarantee that it will come back at the same grade that it was before you cracked it out.
                  theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
                Emoji
                Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
                Drop image/file