Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Class II Doubled Dies - Distorted Hub Doubling

Would anyone happen to have an example of the Class II doubled die? Thank You.

Comments

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a few spots from a 1890 , described as being a QDO but I can count about 7 steps (upper left picture). It's a early die state coin with the RPD still visible. I believe it's the only year showing type 2 "doubling" in the IHC series.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    PS - It could be distorted HUB or distorted die "doubling"
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Lakesammman, WOW that is cool...so that is the Type II Distorted...I bet there are not to many of those around at all....Does the doubling happen on all the letters on the coin....Thank You.
  • Options
    Yes, it's around the entire periphery, most noticable on the logo "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA". If you imagine a hot hub cooling down, you would expect the contraction to be most notable at the periphery and barely noticable in the center, for example. I'm not a DDO expert so I don't known if that's a correct idea or not, but you get the idea.

The steps are so evenly placed that a stable sized working die impressed onto a cooling hub, done with regular periodicity, makes the most sense. If anyone knows better, let us know!image
  • Options
    Lakesammman, that makes alot of sense to me...but I am new to all these error coins....but I am learning how it is done...that is really cool. Thank You.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file