Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Regrade Question

ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a coin is sent in for a regrade, is it cracked out of the slab during the process & sent through as raw?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Yes.

Edited to add: Allegedly. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

Thanks Russ!

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes.

Edited to add: Allegedly. image

Russ, NCNE >>

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS70:

The regrade process goes more or less like this:

When PCGS receives your coin they log it and its current grade into the computer database that the graders can't see.

The coin then goes down to (I'm guessing) the sealing area when it is removed from its holder and put into a poly bag and flip.

It then goes into the grading room in a little plastic tray with an invoice number, looking just like the thousands of other submissions that go through there each month. (My point is, the graders have no clue that regrades are regrades... they "look" just like raw submissions.)

When the grading has been completed the coin goes to the finalizing department where the "new" grade is compared to the old grade in the computer database. If the new grade is higher, then that's what goes on the holder. If the new grade is lower, the coin goes back to you in a new holder with the old grade.

You have nothing to lose with the regrade process except postage, submission cost, time and patience.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Dennis: Why, thank you for the info. I also have wondered how it's supposed to work. Knowledge is power.

Neil B.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot... there's one other risk that you also take with the regrade process:

You are trusting PCGS that your coin won't be dropped or fingerprinted or something else that is totally stupid and horrible. But it does occasionally happen.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

Thank you Dennis! I appreciate the info!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file