Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Un-Believable. Today is not My Day.

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ebay has their Free Listing day going so I put some coins up and a couple of Frustration Vent Auctions. One of the auctions was the following one where I put a starting bid of 50 dollars thinking that no one in their right mind would bid or even want the piece of junk. Well I was wrong. A buyer wanted me to end the Auction and he said he would Pay Pal the 50 bucks and Postage for Priority Mail.

What I did was return the Email and tell the buyer that I did not want to sell the coin because I do not believe in selling Whizzed Coins period. What would you do if he comes back and Bids the 50 dollar open price ?

Here is The Piece of Junk.

Bummed Out
Ken

Comments

• Options
    You were painfully honest about the condition of the coin. I would have taken the 50 bucks and laughed all the way to the bank.
    Paul in Pine Hill
    ----------------------------------------
    My ebay auctions

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Ken,

If he bids it, you have no choice but to sell it to him. It's a contractual obligation. When I run this type of auction, I put a stupidly high reserve in to prevent that from happening.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I once purposely bought a whizzed Walker (ANACS net grade) on ebay, just so I could have one to know what real whizzing really looks like. Didn't pay near $50 for it, but maybe that's why this guy wants it...
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    He had a stupidly high bid, he just got a stupidly high customer-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    If you don't want to sell it, cancel the auction. If you want to sell it for $50, list it for $50.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Well, you couldn't have been more specific and to the point in your description!image

Maybe the prospective buyer is the one who whizzed the coin originally and now feels pangs of remorse and wants to pay any sum to get it off the market.....NAH---WAKE UP!!!!image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken - Sell him the coin and include a complimentary 65 FSB dime in the package, for comparison. Give the guy an education for his money.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken,

I fail to see why you are bummed out. I assume your intent was to educate buyers with this auction. You have done that successfully regardless of whether the guy ends up buying it. Besides, perhaps he wants it to see if he can educate others, too.

Now the real question is whether or not you really want to sell the coin.....?

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, you said "whizzed and re-tooled" maybe the guy has a urination fetishimage--------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No question about the coin. It will not be sold or even given away while I am alive. Maybe if I deface the coin it could be sold for a education purpose but not at 50 bucks. Five bucks sounds more fair to me. image

I really wonder if the people on eBay who are buyers ever read these educational auctions. Boy I hope so because some real Junk has been in the Mercury Section lately. Mostly way over graded stuff and enhanced color coins. Worse than usual in my opinion.

Ken
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Ken:

I agree with Andy L's suggestion. But it seems "odd" that this person wants the coin so badly, considering your vivid description. There may be another alterior motive here--but I can't for the life of me guess what it could be? I think this would be a good coin for a local coin club to acquire and use for an educational forum on "doctering" at one of their meetings.

Neil B.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Fairlaneman if you really didn't want to sell it you should have used a million $$ starting bid.
    Don't think for 1 minute some dumb non-reading moron is trying to buy it-starting it at $50 is just enticing some sleazy dealer to buy it so he can pawn it off on some newbie as a CH BU and get $500 for it.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file