Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Calling all coin doctor detectives...........

What does the spot on the cheek look like to you?

BTW this is not my coin.

Comments

• Options
    nice luster..looks high grade..but the spot is nasty..
  • Options
    I dont know but I have one similar. I think something happened to it at PCGS while getting graded. I dont remember sending one in that looked like that.

Paul in Pine Hill
    ----------------------------------------
    My ebay auctions

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    That there's spackle, fix most anything with it.

Seriously, though looks like a chunk of crud.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Its interesting that they are both 1878 morgans too ... I mean what are the odds?
    Paul in Pine Hill
    My ebay auctions

• Options
    Jimmy Durante at right face.....image Better yet, a face on one of the old Cal. Gold pieces
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does the spot on the cheek look like to you?

Clearasil.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I've seen it before, and don't know what it is, but it doesn't appear to be ON the surface, but rather part of the surface. I've seen it on Washington quarters. I'd love to hear a good explanation. On the Washingtons, it looks like a rough patch under a loupe. I always thought it was surface damage left by heavy toning that had been removed.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    It might not be anything that was applied to the coin at all, but rather, what I like to refer to as "die burn" from the way the coin was minted. Hard to know for sure, just from an image, though.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Looks like silver putty to me and the coin turned in the holder, what is the assigned grade?-----------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like silver putty to me and the coin turned in the holder, what is the assigned grade?-----------------------BigE >>

Mine came back as MS 63
    Paul in Pine Hill
    My ebay auctions

• Options
    it is a 1878 S in ms66
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    The putty must have looked nice when they first applied itimage-----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    I can't tell from the picture if it's an applied substance or mint related issue but if applied, likely a thumbing or putty in an attempt to cover up the counter marks. Or perhaps just "die burn" as Coinguy stated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file