Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1917 Lincoln Doubled die

Does anyone have a picture of one? Thank You.

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I would if it wasn't in my lock box.

If I recall doubling is pretty evident on TRUST and one of the 9's in the date.
  • Options
    If you have a red book there's a photo of one on page 97, but it's not very good.

"one of the 9's in the date" HUH? image
  • Options
    Goose, That's where mine would be if I had one too...Thanks.
  • Options
    Here is one I have..the "TRUST" and the "9" are the most visible in the pic...Go to my site an look for the link to the "Get Original Uploaded Photo" under the pic ...look at it at the biggest magnification, if your browser reduces the picture...

1917 DDO
  • Options
    Thanks Richbeat, You know they tell you about all these errors and give you sorry examples of these so called errors ...most of the time you dont get any picture at all...they just say for example the 1917....well Hell, you know how much that helps...I am trying to find what classification my coin might fall under...I am still doing my research and can not wait until I get my microscope....I guess I need to buy a book on error coins...I guess I can forget about that 1917...because it just involves the the nine and a few other little things...funny thing is...I dont know if this was using the new minting process or the old...anyway something went wrong...just got to figure out what.
  • Options
    millennium, Thank You very much...Those are great pictures...mine does kinda resemble that...in that it is all shifted north...do you know if that whole coin was doubled or just parts of it? To me it looks like Liberty might have been doubled too.
  • Options
    Yea..the liberty is doubled too..I will take some better pics today and post them...
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options
    BigTony, That was a great site and beautiful 1917 picture...Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    Now those are great photos. Thanks bigtony! image

Cherrypickers' Guide lists the following values:

XF-$950, AU-$1500, MS60-$2500, MS63-$5000, MS65-$12,000
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few pics I took when I was auctioned off a corroded VG on eBay a couple of years ago. The left coin is my personal specimen, the right coin a normal 1917, and the center coin the one I sold.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Sean, do you know of a coin where every thing is shifted north of the head...in a straight line to 12:00?
    Any known Doubled Dies? This Kennedy I am leaning toward the use of two different dies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file