Home PSA Set Registry Forum

How do you find nice raw card lots now days??

Can anyone give me some sound advice on how to obtain nice raw lots of 1960's Football Cards??
When I look on ebay, 95% of the stuff looks to be grossly overgraded and even the stuff that isn't , it is so hard to tell from scans.
I haven't actively collected sportscards in some 13-14 years.
I use to go to shows in my immediate area but they have pretty much dried up because of ebay etc.
Any hints at all?? Even just a HINT. image
Many Thanks.
Happy New Year ...to you guys!!

Mojorob

Comments

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    That's all I have been doing since I got back into this "hobby' in October, building ungraded 61-67 sets. After wasting money and learning lessons, I have become a lot more picky. I have been having the most success with small lots (6-18 cards) that are stated NM with good scans. Some of those lots were from folks here. But ultimately, I am buying NM/NMMT cards from online dealers (i.e., Mickey's). A little more than what you could buy lots for on ebay but I would rather get what I paid for.
  • You have to be careful buying these lots on eBay, but you can find nice raw vintage lots... in the nm... nm+ range... sometimes better.
    I used to pick up lots like this... mostly baseball and basketball...
    as always, look often... emailing the seller for specific details seems to be the key to reduce the risk of buying junk...
    shows and dealers... and even your buddies on these message boards can be very helpful.
  • I actually list my cards accurately. I have two lots of cards from 1977 (1000ct. & a 500ct.) up right now. While I realize these are NOT 60's football, I tell you 1) To spam my auctions and 2) to convey the fact that really sharp raw cards are on eBay that are not over-graded. I would suggest getting to know a reliable source and build a relationship. Buy a few lots (initial investment for later returns) and check the condition. The first couple hundred you spend will pay for itself 10-fold down the road. In the listings themselves look closely at the descriptions. If they use words like "mint shape" or "perfect in every way" or "MINT! PSA???" ...they suck. If they use words like "pack-fresh with light touches to a corner" or "vending-fresh with factory limitations" you may be on to something. It also helps to see what dealers are into grading the stars from the years you collect. Lots of nice commons may remain. Best luck!

dgf
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    fraz,
    any 76's?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Here's DGF's auction links...jay
    DGF's 1977 eBay lots
  • Straw,
    Nothing I'm selling. I'll find you a "Bull" in a 96 holder!!! Thanks for the link Jay.

dgf
  • I still buy some raw on EBAY but I am very picky who I buy from .... This comes from about 3 years worth of experience from buying EBAy . Most of it was learned by trial and error. A good rule of thumb to use if the buyer states the cards are NM/MT and you have not bought from this EBayer before base your bid on the cards being EX/MT condition or NM condition. This helps cut down your losses on mistakes and leads to the occasional pleasant suprise. Sure you will lose some lots... But you will get burned for far less $'s. Bookmark the EBAYErs who have raw lots that meet your criteria and soon you will have a list of raw card sellers.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Mojo

Buy PSA 8's and 9's and crack them out of their holders.... then you'll have nice raw cards. Hope this helps!

Mike

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Luxury,
    If someone buys the lot I have up and is expecting EX/MT, they're going to get a very big, happy, surprise! In general I do agree with you, however, as evidenced that I don't buy many raw lots myself. I have bought raw cards from exactly four popular board members on here and found three to be fantastic. The other sold me a brick of EX+ and called them NM/MT...so there you go. I don't think he was being deceptive though. I just don't think he'd know a mint card if it jumped out of the box and slipped him the tongue. I try to buy from guys on here when I can.

dgf
    fraz,
    76 bull? i think i would drop dead of a heart attack!i almost had the big one when i got the JR in a 9! my top five for 2004 are(drumroll) simmons,torre,hendrick,boog and bull!happy hunting.
    Collector Focus

• Jack,

I believe I sold that JR Richard from the 76 set. Please take an aspirin as I do not want to be on the hook for causing your heart attack!

It might be better to crack out PSA 7 cards instead. They are much cheaper than 8's and 9's, plus the way PSA grades nowadays (extremely strict) they would still be great cards and would fit nicely into raw sets.

Also, if anyone needs 1968, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1974, 1976 raw cards please email me at jdelgrippo@comcast.net. I have many in NM-MT condition that just doesn't pay to get them graded. I had many raw 1971's at the National that were flying off my table at $10-15 each and up. Many of the collector's/dealer's here on the boards purchased raw 71's from me at the National. I also broke a 59 Topps set, sending in 300 cards to PSA and have many NM to NM-MT cards (razor corners) available in their raw state. Centering provisions preclude me from PSA 8's.

Happy Collecting!

joedel

joedel auctions
  • Straw,
    I know Torre can be had. The others will take some real effort to get them clean, sharp and centered. I know the bull won't come cheap...I hear he's on a few want lists image
    Look at the bright side, redsoxjeff won't bother us on it. image
    Happy New Year and best of luck...

dgf
    joe,
    yes it was you and i believe i bought the downing,baker,hisle,gamble and storming gorman. All of them are tough in that "state"!
    i would be very interested in the above mentioned cards and oliva if you have them in raw state? i just got this winfield and
    i am so disappointed. its a tough tough card!the centering is there but it has pepper and smudges and the bottom left corner is dinged?
    fraz,
    i tell you first it was lafayette then redsox jeeves and now there is rbdjr1 and cincyfan. albeit cincy and rbdjr seem a bit more conservitive then lafayette was but rbdjr1 has dropped close to 5 grand on 76's in the last 40 days or so! on the lighter side how does that parker look from dhcards? i see your selling the psa one so i am guessing its a keeper.

Collector Focus

• Straw,
    To be honest, I haven't seen the Parker copy yet. I'll roll the dice with DH, though. I'm sure his parker will be smokin'. Daniel Haddock sells quality cards. He's like us in that he won't grade a card unless it's all there. With some large submitters they only ship what they think "might make it". Daniel has a discerning eye and submits accordingly.
    The Parker I have up is OK. Not a dog and not a blazer. Just OK, but undeniably within PSA standards.
    dgf
    fraz,
    you are correct on dhcards, i received the 78's and all are super sharp and the 81's are just as nice. i have another shipment on the way. i have started to like the 78's? i don't know why but they seem to be had for grading most of the time! and there isn't any sharks in those waters !yet!
    Collector Focus

• I am giving away my age but, as a kid, I collected cards primarily from 1975 through 1978. I still have my VG to EX-MT sets from that period. Those from 1976-78 are extremely difficult due to the extremely low quality paper Topps used in its production of cards. I believe it might have something to do with the recession the US economy went through during the 1973-1974 period. Maybe Topps was conserving costs? Centering difficulties during this period also puts a damper on collecting true MINT cards. Topps would cut 30-40 sheets at a time, all stacked on top of each other. Many sheets would shift during cutting, resulting in the off-centered cards. Back in the late 1970's, I remember going through vending runs (up to 1,000 of each card), with each example all having the same centering problems. Wish I had bought more than one of the 1970 Nolan Ryan card #712, but then again I only needed one for my set! Wish the "hobby" could go back to that time period.
  • tight winny!
    "$152 Winny"image
    Collector Focus