Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

How do you look at the pop report?

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was wondering the other day how certain individuals look at the population reports for a certain coin.

Take a 1982-NO P MS67FB's Dime for example: On the reports, they say that there is 4/0. When you own 1 of these coins do you look at it as there is 4? Of course you do, but if you were a buyer and you see that all 4 of them are currently residing in registry sets, then you would look at it as if there were 0/0.

What if you see a coin for sale on eBay and the person states in his listing that the coin has a pop of 3/0, and you check the registry and 2 of them currently reside registry sets? Do you look at this as a pop of 1/0, or 3/0?

Also, does this effect the price of the coin that is selling?

Any thoughts?

I hope that everyone is having a wonderful Christmas today.

Paul B. Gunsallus

Later, Paul.

Comments

• MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Hi Paul, and Merry Christmas to you and your family

Great question!!! I would probably use a liitle of both. If its a coin I may need for my set the 1982-no P and one of the 67-fb came up its a pop 1 for me I need it and the odds of another coming up any time soon are slim. If its a new 67-fb then its a pop 5 because its not one of the four currrently in a registry sets meaning that the possiblility of more being made will reduce its value and may not require a strong bid. I can only see maybe ten set holders who would be willing to pay the price to acqiure one.

Now that being said there is the law of supply and demand. Rooseys are hot right now and if you had one the price would be staggering.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Excellent question. Let's take my favorite coin, for example. The Accented Hair in PR68DCAM is pop 8/0, seven of which are in registry sets. I used to look at it as if only one could be available, but that recently changed.

For about two and a half years, none showed up in any public sale. Then recently, two changed hands as top sets were sold off. So now, with the exception of one of the coins that I know won't be sold any time soon image, I view it as if all of them could become available.

Russ, NCNE
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look at all of them including one grade below and above. Both of those factors influence the price of the grade you are looking at.
    It usually pays to look at similar coins with similar pop pyramids to determine if the coin in question is priced fairly in relation to its brothers and sisters. However, in the case of many coins, not enough data has been collected yet to always make a reasonable assessment of present or future value.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thankyou guys for the responses, as they are very helpful. Everyone has a good point of view. I tend to look at them from several ways. But if there is a coin I want and need, the thing that factors in the most when I buy a coin is of course $$$.

Happy New Year,
    Paul B. Gunsallus

Later, Paul.
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I look at total numbers, but that fact that many existing coins are currently in registry sets means it may be a long time before a similar grade coin comes on the market.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • ttt
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.