Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pair of 1955 DDO's

Okay:I need your opinions on which of these DDO's has the best in eye appeal.I own both.Go to bowersandmerena.com click on Prices realized at recent auctions.Go to Kingswood Auctions "Durham sale" lot #65.Go back to Bowers and Merena Auctions "Smith / Youngman" lot #655.Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    That's too much work.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    1040taxman1040taxman Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    Hey Russ,it's not that bad.Maybe you're just tired.Try again tomorrow.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It IS a lot of work! But 1040taxman (how could you call yourself that????), I am going to do it for you. To get more responses you need to do this ahead of time as evaluating these coins take time in itself.

PCGS AU-55 1955 DDO cent

PCGS MS-64RD 1955 DDO cent
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

• Options
    The AU-55 cent looks ok for the grade. Perhaps even solid for the grade. I can't get a fix on the color of the coin given that it is circulated and should be a solid medium brown in color and it does appear to be mottled color looking. Perhaps excessive lighting?

The MS-64 looks very clean for the grade and attractive but the luster looks somewhat subdued despite a very light red colored appearance. The color doesn't look orange/red to me.........almost as if the red is washed out (dipped?) Again, excessive lighting?

First impression...I vote for the MS-64RD.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The color doesn't look orange/red to me.........almost as if the red is washed out (dipped?) Again, excessive lighting?
    >>

My opinion was bad picture...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Oreville,thanks for the help.I saw your MS65 DDO a few weeks ago.Very nice.How long have you had it in your collection? 1040taxman is what I do professionally from January to April since 1975.
  • Options
    1040taxman: You are welcome. The message text buttons at the top of your posting (open only as you are posting) guides you into the various ways of linking urls and images.

I have had the 1955DDO cent since 1997.

Hmmm...I do that tax thing all year round. Looking to do more tax returns in our area? We are looking for more tax preparers!

So what is your opinion about the two 55DDO's. Comparing a MS-64 to an AU-55 for eye appeal is like comparing apples and oranges. The one good thing about a circulated 55DDO is that you can hold it in your hand and gawk at how such a thing could ever have been minted!
  • Options
    I feel that 64 is a beautyful coin. Happy Holidays
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I like the color on the MS better,so I say it has better eye appeal.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    Oreville: The description in the auction is accurate for the AU-55."mint lustre in the intricacies of the design with no noteworthy flaws."I have been to many local and national shows and I have seen AU-58's to MS 61 browns that don't have the eye appeal that this one does.The MS 64 is like a creamy red color.It's not as red as the photo shows.There are a few minor scuff marks that go along with the assigned grade.When I get some time I'll shoot these coins over again and send them out.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Ms-64 red, but the photo's arent great. Does look a little cleaner than most you see.

However, thier is probably a little more demand from the general collector for the au, since its quite a bit more affordable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file