Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Happy Holidays to the original 1972 Topps "Fab Five"

Hi Guys, I have made many friends during my various PSA adventures. Although I no longer collect the 1972 Topps set (I still collect 1972 Topps Mets cards), I still wanted to wish a Happy Holidays to the original 1972 Topps "Fab Five" and their families. The great Frank Bakka, Erik Jarvi, Mike Castaldi and Carlos Aponte. Good luck in the coming year with your sets and with your personal lives. I hope that someday we get a chance to be together in a group picture. We were some of the first pioneers on the 1972 Topps set registry and the registry as a whole. We will forever be connected to each other as the "Fab Five". I was always proud to be assocated with you guys as fellow 1972 Topps collectors and I am still proud to call each of you my friends. Thanks for a great year of collecting memories. Neil

Comments

• RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Which one is George Martin or Billy Preston.

I'm speaking of the 5th?

Happy Holidays to a group of set builders who paved the way for a new generation.
  • How many of the original FAB FIVE members still collect the '72 Topps set?
  • The great Frank Bakka and Erik Jarvi are #1 and #2 respectfully. Mike Castaldi is coming up though the ranks for a second time. I believe he will be in the top 5 sometime in 2004. Carlos Aponte doesn't collect it but is still ranked #5 on the all time finest list. I also don't collect the full set but I still collect the Mets team set in PSA 8 and PSA 9. I am also still ranked on the all time finest list at #4. Dave Read currently rounds out the all time finest list at the #3 spot. Neil
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Neil,
    Happy Holidays, Christmas, Hannakah, Kwanzaa, Ramadan, Festivus and more to you and yours!!!

I'd like to tag on an additional Merry one to the guys who've been working on (or worked on) the 72 set since not long after the Fab Five really took off. Happy Holidays to Dave Read, Eric Olander, Larry (The King) Emard, Dale Wedge, Dude Markel, Andy Montero, Ron Crane and Mike Ledin.

And then to the newest crop of masochists - Steve Wolfe, Rich Corpis and Brad Horton!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    FAB FIVE FOREVER image
  • Many thanks to the original "FAB FIVE" who helped me along the way on my '72 monster...

Still looking for those last 16 cards...image But when you consider the sheer size of this set, a few cards doesn't seem like much...Some day I'll be able to "rub elbows" with the great ones at 100%...

Super effort "FABS"!!!!

Larry

I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • This set is truly a Godzilla, and to complete it in high grade as those have done is an incredible feat of bravery, persistence, and other factors that may not reflect well upon our character, such as the masochism Frank mentioned. How else can explain what I paid for that PSA 8 Grote last night (yes, the phrase "stupidity" has entered my mind)? Oh well, at least it got me over 99%. image

Hats off to the Fab Five!

Steve
  • Hi Guys, I'm glad that some of the other members of the 1972 Topps club have joined in on this thread. I in no way meant it to be just for the "Fab Five" to enjoy. Good luck with that Grote, Steve. I can still remember turning down two different ones from the great Frank Bakka. He only wanted $13 each for them at the time. I thought that the centering was a little off - stupid bast__d that I am. How was I suppose to know that I might never see one again. I guess in this hobby, you live and learn - and sometimes you kick yourself in the nuts along the way. Neil
  • mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Happy holidays for all!!!

Steve> I saw what you paid for the Grote and it's still less than I've paid for one of my PSA8 commons.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • That's what scares me Mike!
    No Steve. . .if I told you how little I paid for some of my other toughies, now that would scare you.

Mike
  • Mike -

Funny how things happen. Just a couple of minutes ago I hit an $8 BIN for one of the cards on my 1972 want list, #658. Granted it's a PSA 7 but as a placeholder I'll gladly take it. It make me a little less unhappy about shelling out so much for the Grote. The way I look at it (or rationalize it, a cynic might say), is that over the past two days I have filled two big holes in my 1972 set for an average price of $168.50!

Sounds good to me!

Steve
    Steve> I think the trick is identifying which cards are worth a "whatever it takes" mentality and then being patient for everything else. Timing also plays a big part of it too. Shortly after I decided to put together the 72 set for the second time, there was a run of low-pop/tough cards. However, it seemed like I was the only one interested in them. During this time, I picked up the Gardner, Henderson, Jones IA, Expos Team, Gallagher & Grote. I picked up the Grote for a whole $67.66. Then I was able to find raw examples of a bunch of tough cards like Holtzman and Garrett.

So I feel very fortunate with my set. I was also able to pick up three more unique numbers from DSL last night - including a PSA9 Sutton. After I pick up a box from the post office and those three come in, I'll just crack the 90% mark - WOO HOO!

Mike
  • Way to go
    Michael
  • Yes, happy holidays to all and especially to the Fab 5. When I was 6th on the list I tried to get them to change it to "The Sensational Six," but they didn't.

Anyways, yes I did the set twice, like Mike.

I'll do it again, but only after I win the lottery.

Dale
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
    1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
    Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
    #15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    #23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
  • Hey Dale, When you're ready again - I can start you off with about 450 cards. Just a thought - wink wink. Neil