Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

bad timing again -- today is calendar day 28 on a 15-day submission (Grade in on day #34)

DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
I knew when I dropped off the coin the day before Thanksgiving that holidays and shows would conspire against me, but I still held out hope I'd get my crossover results before Christmas.

Oh well...

As long as I'm dreaming, maybe I should ask the wife for a $50 octagonal Pan-Pac ???
When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>but I still held out hope I'd get my crossover results before Christmas. >>

You still have a few hours. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ:

All good hopes and best wishes on my behalf would be most appreciated!

The coin is an ANACS-60 1886-O Morgan with the rare (in mint state) E-reverse die clash. The strike is great, the lustre is strong, and the eye appeal for the grade is astounding. Frankly, it looks like a 62 to me
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Maybe under the christmas tree?

dennis
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was understood if you wanted your coins graded in 15 days you had to use PCGS's 3-day Service!

peacockcoins

• Options
    Braddick:

OUCH!! image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis, It's not that I'm bitter, far from it, but I dropped off a submission at Long Beach last May for 15 day Service and I received the coins back 47 days later. I swear. I've got the invoices and packaging to prove it! Repeated attempts to have PCGS "make it right" only ended up with empty promises of certificates. Certificates that were never sent. After multiple attempts and voice messages left I simply gave up.

Ok, maybe I'm still just a little bitter.image

peacockcoins

• Options
    Pat:

I work in the dairy industry, so I have access to organic material that is extremely... um, fresh.

Want me drop some off with your complements the next time I'm there -- perhaps accompanied by a submission form?

-- Merry Christmas!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Dec. 30 Update--

Just checked the PCGS website and saw my grade has been posted: The coin crossed at MS60!! I'm hugely excited about this, because the coin is an E-reverse die clash (VAM 1a) that is quite rare in any mint state grade.

I received a second thrill when I entered the new certification number into the cert. # verification window -- it came back as having a variety designation! I'm dieing to see whether this means PCGS is now recognizing this variety on its holders, or if the serial number starts with an E... as in mint error.

Either way, I'm thrilled!!!

-- Dennis
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    well there you go - it took them longer to change their database and make sure they were correct because you have a firstimage
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    So, what's the point in paying for a particular service if we cannot expect to receive it?image
  • Options

<< <i>So, what's the point in paying for a particular service if we cannot expect to receive it? >>

Ah, the smell of coffee. image

And just when I thought PCGS was getting its act together.

I guess I'm earning my free World Series of Grading entrance fee, but c'mon, when are people going to wake up. Why submit and submit and submit just to be taken advantage of and be taken for granted. Does PCGS really care about the "small time submitters?"

I find it extremely difficult to believe that NOTHING can be done about this problem. It's be going on for months now! What will it take to fix it?

We are given nothing but excuse after excuse why they can't meet their promised turn-around times. And then when I read that Braddick can't even get the compensation he was promised (actually legally speaking he should not receive additional free submission certificates, but should be refunded his original submission fee) it infuriates me.

Sorry for the rant, but this is just ridiculous.

Michael

• Options
    <<<<<enable David Hall flame shield>>>>>
  • Options

I agree with Frattlaw. It has always seemed absurd that there are several tiers of service that can be paid for but never received. I have a 15 day submission in right now that was received 11/19. The tiers should just be something like: Double Nuclear Fast, White Hot Fast, Not So Fast, We'll do the Best We Can. That way there will be no expectation that the service will be provided in any specified period of time.
    I'm really only half joking. If PCGS repeatedly can't meet specified guarantees of it's service contract, it should modify or delete those specific items of it's contract. But who am I to make such a suggestion to PCGS?

I am just a collector.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    "E" on the serial number means mint error.

So, what coin is this in reference to? Date, type, series, etc.
  • Options
    Rampage:

As stated previously in this thread, the coin is an 1886-O Morgan $1 VAM 1a (complete E visible under the eagle's tail on the reverse as the result of a massive die clash, resulting in the transfer of parts of the word "Liberty" from the obverse.) There are several Morgan dates where traces and parts of the E are visible, but there are only two dates which show the entire E clearly; the other being the 1891-O.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis
    Any chance of seeing a picture? Sound real neat.Al
  • Options
    Al:

Here's a 20X detail of the E under the eagle's tail.

PCGS, by the way, graded the coin as a Mint Error -- hence the "Clashed Die Reverse" variety attribution on the holder.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis
    Thanks,that is a keeper.I like,I love it,super find.Al