Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient coin - Sicily Syracuse circa 480 BC

Been trying to locate info on this & other ancients I have. As near as I can tell, this coin is Sicily Syracuse AR Tetradrachma. Not sure what the figures are on the obverse & reverse (woman's head with dolphins & chariot). Seems to date from 485 - 478 BC. If anyone was around then & remembers this coin, I would appreciate your help. What does "AR" stand for? Thanks
98PANDA.98panda

Comments

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    AR is an abbreviation for "argentum" which is Latin for "silver" referring to the composition of the coin.

If you can provide a larger and clearer scan, I can probably give you a full attribution for the coin.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa- I'm still green on my ancient Greek stuff, but I know one thing- those Syracusian tetra-'s ain't cheap! And the deka-'s will kill you!

Pretty coin, but I'd be very wary of fakes. You should post a bigger scan and let Civitas have closer look, for sure. Looks like there might be some sort of test cut across the mouth on the obverse?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭✭
    The obverse of the coin (referred to as the reverse by earlier writers) features a beautiful rendition of the traditional Syracusian type of a victorious charioteer in a quadriga, being crowned by Nike flying above. Of particular note is the individuality and freedom imparted to each of the horses on these distinctive presentations.Below, is the full ethnic of the Syracusians reading SYRACOSION (the second o is an omega). On the reverse, is a handsome effigy of the patron Nymph of Syracuse, Arethusa, wearing an elaborate earring and beaded necklace, with her hair gracefully bound up in loose tresses with leaves of corn. In the field around her head are four dolphins, again a traditional Syracusian design, alternatingly swimming clockwise and counterclockwise, inward and outward.

Way to go pandaman!
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Syracuse rose to a position of pre-eminence amongst the Sicilian Greeks, especially after the great victory over the Carthaginian invaders at Himera in 480 B.C. She maintained her ascendancy throughout the 5th century,though her influence was much curtailed at the close of the century when the Carthaginians gained a firm footing in the island and other cities had lost their independence to the Syracusians.The renowned dekadrachm coinage of around 400 B.C. and thereafter marked a significant change in the politics and economic life of Ancient Sicily. Tetradrachm coinage, the mainstay of Sicilian output for theprevious century, essentially came to a halt. The dekadrachms, and their counterparts in gold, probably served primarily as a prestigious and economical method for handling payments to mercenary armies during the reign of Syracusan King Dionysios I (405-380 B.C.)
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful historical account, Dimitri!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Thanks for info. I got new camera for Christmas & once I figure it out, I will try to post better pix. History lesson on coin has already been great. You wonder through who's hands this coin passed all those year ago. I have several ancients that have been verified authentic (by a reputable dealer). They include: Sicily Messana; Sicily Syracuse (smaller & figures face opposite direction of other Syracuse);Fufius Calenus & MuliusCorous; Elagabalus; Julia Mesa and LAELIANOS 268 AD. Have 17 all together. Some have brief info noted on holders but basically greek (or Roman) to me!!
    98PANDA.98panda
  • Options
    Beautiful coin.
    Greek coins like that are some of the most beautiful and eye appealing coins ever made.
    Unfortunately out of my price range.
    Congrads on that coin.
    Look forward to seeing more of your coins.

Doug
    The Faustina Collector
  • Options

Here is our favorite coin from our collection, a spectacular Syracuse Decadrachm as per the great artist Kimon

imageimage
  • Options
    What would the approxinate value be on my Sicily Syracuse coin? I have found so many variations that are similar to this coin. Sorry not know how to make bigger image. Thanks
    98PANDA.98panda