Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 WTF Cal Ripken Rochester Red Wings help

I have an unopened set of the 1981 WTF Rochester Red Wings minor league set including the Cal Ripken. The Ripken is on the top of the shrink-wrap and due to the fact that it has been this way since 1981 it looks like one of the corners is slighlty bent. I want to sell this. Would it be worth it to break it open and send it in to get graded or try to sell the entire unopened set? More importantly, is there a current market for this card/set? Tell me what you think I am in a bind here.

Comments

• Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Slightly bent means no more than a 5 to me. You could be looking at a 3 or 4, too.

I'd keep it in the original packaging. I'm betting that there are far more of these Ripkens OUTSIDE of their original packaging than still in it, so you'll have the rarity/novelty factor working for you in the future.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    BTW, WTF does WTF mean?
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    If I had the sealed WTF pack, I would send it to GAI for grading and encapsulation before I list the card on ebay.
  • Options
    WTF literally means WTF - that was the name the kids who printed those cards decided on.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip. I don't know what WTF stands for. There were to sets of Rochester that year. One made by TCMA and one by WTF.
  • Options
    Just imagine you're dating a girl, getting cozy, and you feel something you weren't expecting. You'd probably say something like "What the F#$@???!!!!!"