Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Jefferson Full Step Collectors. Heritage Auction..

I really would like the input of my fellow collectors about the grading of the 49-S and 64 full steps that are now at auction.

I'm not going to bid on these as I like the ones in my set better. Just looking for valued opinions about the slab grades.

Bob

LINK

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob: Your link did not work for me.

In any event, if there was ANY series of coin most difficult to grade from a scan the FS Jeff series would be right up there I believe. Hopefully, some Jeff collectors will be able to view the coins live in Florida image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I apologize for the link. It worked in the preview, then didn't when I posted.
    Can't seem to link the Heritage auction as a link now.
    I'm going to blame it on Optimum Online, as I have a lot of trouble downloading many web pages. Works fine sometimes and just plain sucks at others. Nine months of service calls for cable service not working right.
    The scans on Heritage looked pretty good as far as detail of the strike and marks. Can't judge color or luster from them though. My question was concerning strike and contact marks. My 1964 in MS64FS looks better , with the exception of hair detail, and only slightly. No contact marks on the obverse (or reverse) and apparently, better steps.
    I feel a "65" on mine and question the "66" offered on Heritage, just because of the hits on the obverse.
    The 49-S is one that needs to be viewed in person. I did question the soft strike on the reverse and many light contact marks, and still an MS66FS grade!
    I feel that Heritage has improved on the pictures very much over the last year. I look at many other coin types and have the same opinion. I bought a couple Jeffersons last year and glad that I considered the lousy scans, as the coins I received were much better in color and luster.
    I would truly appreciate feedback from anyone that takesa good look at these coins. Wish that I could make it to the F.U.N. Show.

Bob
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    page linked brings me to heritage colonials

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    The link is slow, but it does allow you select jeffersons and view the nickels available.
    Can't get the link to go directly to the jeffersons though.

Bob
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    I have also questioned the full step designation on the MS-67 1939-D Jefferson. Hopefully that is just a bad photo.

Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1945-S MS66FS PCGS doesn't look FS by a long shot, either.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    I agree with the above comments.

While Heritage has improved their photos several of these coins seem to be overgraded especially the 1939D MS67FS (does not look FS IMHO) and the 1964 MS66FS (too many obverse contact marks for a 66).

It will be interesting to see what these coins look like at the show.
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    the 45-s is a stretch for the FS Designation
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    Wow, look at the bids on some of these jeffersons!
    Mark
  • Options
    WOW is right on some of the Jefferson prices!! I'm hoping to see some of the coins in person before I bid.

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    I would love to hear your feedback on the quality of the coins and the accuracy of the photos.

Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the MS Jeffs performed quite well at FUN with each of the 39(d) in MS67FS and 64(p) in MS66FS nickels selling between $4,500 - $5,000/coin (and I agree - for average quality coins). I am told a dealer bought both pieces to place in a new high end Jeff collection which a Buffalo nickel collector is putting together (so, the end buyer will pay even higher prices for these coins). Most of these low pop super Jeffs are currently priced at what the "tip" might be for buying equally low pop Buffalo nickels for these Buffalo guys. Watch out if a couple more Buffalo players decide to expand out into MS Jeffs!!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Did you think the steps were full on the 39-D?
    Mark