Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The best pull in my store's (short) history!

One of my good friends who doesn't even collect much basketball decided to buy a pack of Topps Pristine just for the heck of it. He got this Shaq 1/1 Cyan Press Plate card, whcih he didn't even know what it was when he pulled it. He had me post it on ebay for him, and I guess by telling you that I'm a spammer on these boards all of a sudden. Anyways, I was just as excited as him being the owner of the store where it was pulled. He's a great guy and he hasn't been working in a few months, so whatever this goes for he could definately use the money. Check it out.

SHAQ PRESS PLATE
Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com

Comments

• joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    A nice pull around the holidays. Im not a shop owner but I bet it is nice when regulars pull
    nice cards like that. Congrats and have a Merry Christmas!

Kevin
  • I threw you a bid. Don't collect Shaq, but that looks pretty cool. BTW, what's someone who hasn't been working for a few months doing buying basketball cards? Ahh, never mind, I hope he does good on it!image
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!
  • what's someone who hasn't been working for a few months doing buying basketball cards

I'm getting the feeling you're accusing me of making this up, which would be pretty low. I would hope by now that I've earned a little respect on these boards that we would be past that, but whatever. If you don't beleive me then you can get a hold of Scott through his ebay id, zsjw6. He had me post it for him because he doesn't know how to work all the angles with scans (as you can see from his past auctions) and he knows my ability to "sell ice to the eskimos" with my descriptions of cards. At any rate, Merry Christmas everyone, Jason

• I believe you, Jason. Sports Cards are an addiction. Like alcohol, cigarettes...cards are one thing that the people addicted to them will still buy even though they really can't afford them. I know if I had been out of a job for months I would still scrape together some coin to rip a pack or two. Peace
  • Whoa, calm down, I do believe you and I was just kidding, you did happen to see who the high bidder was right, I wouldn't bid if I thought you were shady! image

• << <i>what's someone who hasn't been working for a few months doing buying basketball cards

I'm getting the feeling you're accusing me of making this up, which would be pretty low. I would hope by now that I've earned a little respect on these boards that we would be past that, but whatever. If you don't beleive me then you can get a hold of Scott through his ebay id, zsjw6. He had me post it for him because he doesn't know how to work all the angles with scans (as you can see from his past auctions) and he knows my ability to "sell ice to the eskimos" with my descriptions of cards. At any rate, Merry Christmas everyone, Jason >>

I don't think anyone isn't believing you, just that I'm sure many share my feeling that people who are out of work, living off of gov't assistance, unemployment (which is largely the same thing), etc. should not be opening sports cards packs. To each their own - but I think my tax dollars could be used better than to allow someone to buy packs or lottery tickets (which I'm not sure if there's a difference).

I'm sure the fellow is a great guy, and there's no fault of yours, and I'm happy he caught a break, but...
  • Sorry about that 2323, it just caught me the wrong way when I read it. Don't get me wrong about Scott, he's not on welfare or anything like that, and he's been doing shows and ebay to make ends meet. He was at the San Fran Cow Palace Show as well as the Chicago Sun Times show in the last two months and did pretty well, so it's not like he's starving in the streets by any means. However, money is a little tight for him and the reason he was at my store was because he sold me $430 worth of Bowman Chrome RC's to fill my inventory, so he spent the $33 for a pack to just have a little fun and give a little back. So sorrry again 2323, it's just that I felt a little weird already about posting this message with all the conspiracy theorists out there who claim someone is spamming every time they talk about one of their cards. I really just posted this because I am glad as a store owner that someone got a great pull out of a pack I sold, Jason

• Hey no problem, Every time I list an auction I always spam it on these boards, who cares? Sure, there's always someone who's gonna whine about it, but you can never have a whole group of people happy at the same time. I hope your friend does good. This might be a stupid question, I'm not really into all this new stuff, although I do like the auto's, but what exactly is a press plate? Was this plate used to make the cards or something or is it just some new idea the card companies came up with?
  • For every card made there are 4 press plates with 4 different colors of dyes. If anyone knows the 4 colors please share. I think the colors are cyan, black, red, and blue. So the reason this card is a reverse negative is because when it's slapped face down it produces the card with the proper negative. So in actuality you might call this card a 1 of 4, although it is the only Cyan one made which is enough to consider it a 1/1. It is actually a piece of aluminum and a really cool piece to own. I think Pinnacle first put Press Plates into packs in about 1996 and only a few products have since. Jason

• black, cyan (blue), magenta (red), and yellow
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    I think Topps has inserted the four color press plates for some time. I remember 1995 stadium club had similar cards.
  • huh, neat! man, what are they gonna stick in packs next?