Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Resubmiiting cards for grading?

Ive read a couple of posts on here saying people have taken the cards they had grade of 9 on and taken them out of the case. and sent them back and got a 10? how is this possible? if so all this grading company stuff is a big scam!?
also anybody know how i can get a card i had graded out of the case without damaging it?!

Comments

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    not the way to make a good 1st impression but welcome to the boards. buy a dremel rotary tool, cur the top then pry the 2 slabs apart happy holidays
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Not trying to make a bad impression. but is my question legit?
  • Options
    I think your question has been beaten to a pulp over time. Everyone has his or her own take on the grading process. As it appears now, grading has become something that offers security for collectors. They are assured of condition and authenticity by getting a card graded. Is grading subjective? Unquestionably. There are guidelines but from reading them, there are also gray areas that will be left to a grader's discretion. You could send in a 9 and get back a 10, but there have also been times that people have gotten a 6 or a 7. Second times might yield something new or something that this new grader sees differently than the first. Basically, grading is a necessary evil as some people see it. I personally think grading has changed the hobby and to revert back to dealers only selling raw and calling a card NM-MT, when it might only be VG-EX by book standards, would be almost impossible. Collectors will always call for that security and authentication that grading offers.
  • Options
    Spacktrack pretty much summed up exactly the purpose and reasons for grading.The gray areas are just two different opinions from two different graders!!Is a PSA 9 a strong 9 but not quite a 10 in one graders eyes or a weak 9 that was given the benefit of the doubt over an 8.
    I have posted that I have cracked opened a lower grade and after resubmitting pulled a higher grade.That's just a fact!My experience in doing this was with Beckett and not PSA's grading services.I do know some people who have done this with PSA also.
    COLLECT KEN GRIFFEY JR BGS 9.5 AND PSA 10'S THAT HAS NOT YET FOUND THEIR WAY INTO THE GREATEST GRADED GRIFFEY COLLECTION TO BE AMASSED....
    REF>EBAY
    scrubTK@aol.com
    hoorayforsocks24@yahoo.com
    Bruinswillraisethecup
    Dillpickles12772
    Tony27
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    By no means is grading an exact science, but the hobby is better off with it than without. I would never buy a raw card off the internet because I don't trust someone that's selling it to give me a conservative rating of the condition. I find my standards are much higher than others. I have been collecting since 1986, I was so tired of hearing dealers say, well its "just a tad off centered" (its really 30-70) or "it looks good for its age" (what does that have to do with the definition of mint). There were so many banged up corners, frayed edges on cards being passed off as MINT. With a PSA 9, I get a card that at least has razor sharp corners and smooth edges with very good centering. Even a PSA 8 looks better than the crap dealers offer me. They always gave me an attitude when I refused to buy their cards because I said it was not MINT. To be honest, most of the stuff they were pushing on me were at best PSA 7. Grading made it possible for me to buy cards from ebay with a high degree of assurance that I am getting a MINT card.

I wish those same dealers are choking on their crap now. They probably are. Thank goodness for grading companies. They are not perfect, but they improved the situation we had before. I am sure that guy DOWN GOES FRAZIER can relate.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    McvillagehtxMcvillagehtx Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Pliers work fine enough. Get the top corner and torque it over like you are dog earring a page in a book.then grab a screwdriver, flathead and pry it in there and separate.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

This thread started 20 years ago. If he doesn't by now how to crack a PSA slab, he never will.

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

@packCollector said:
    not the way to make a good 1st impression but welcome to the boards. buy a dremel rotary tool, cur the top then pry the 2 slabs apart happy holidays

And then use the Dremel on the Cards, the ONLY way you'll ever see a GEM 10 ever again!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:

@packCollector said:

And then use the Dremel on the Cards, the ONLY way you'll ever see a GEM 10 ever again!

YeeHaw!

Neil

yeah, get that dremel out with the cotton polishing wheel and shine up that gloss!!! what could go wrong?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@1959 said:
    This thread started 20 years ago. If he doesn't by now how to crack a PSA slab, he never will.

That's strange. I guess I am the guilty party of bumping it, but it was on the front page for whatever reason when I responded to it.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun to read some of the old posts.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.

Chris Kuhlmann - what a blast from the past in deed.

He had a shop near Atlanta - I bought a case of Heritage from him back around 2003 or 4?

Good guy. The times have changed.

All I can say is that I miss a bunch of those guys for sure.

Mike