Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Why are varieties not allowed in basic sets?

Why are varieties not allowed in basic sets? For example, I saw a really nice 1880/79-CC PCGS MS63, but it was not allowed in the basic Morgan registry set, so I didn't purchase it. I thought any variety was allowed in the basic set. This is ridiculous, IMO.
Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
imageimage
Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.

Comments

• Options
    The basic sets are just for the regular dates not the varieties. If there is a basic set then there is a varieties set also where you can include the coin you spoke of.

Morgan Dollars with Varieties
    Dan

My quarters:
    Silver
    Clad
    Statehood
  • Options
    I hear you, but what I'm trying to say is that, IMO, ANY variety should be allowed in the basic set. To quote Chris Farley, "this sucks!" image
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    I think the point of separating the two is because some of the varieties can be rare and adding them to the basic set would not impact the sets rating as much as in the varieties set. Plus it allows financially challenged people a better chance of completing the set (granted the key date might still stop them)
    Dan

My quarters:
    Silver
    Clad
    Statehood
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not allowing varieties is nuts - makes no sense at all. Just allow it as a non-variety for the year. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Varieties are allowed, just in the varieties set.
    Dan

My quarters:
    Silver
    Clad
    Statehood
  • Options
    I believe that you can put varietites into type sets as the
    example. But it makes sense to not confuse the basic
    sets with them. The next thing that would happen is that
    people would start arguing that the overdate should be
    able to fill either year's spot! image
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    What are you guys arguing about? Define variety. Does that include error coins? Bottom line is that the rules are set by PCGS. Collect what you want, not what the registry says. It is all about having fun with your coins. It is NOT about having the highest "score" in an arbitrary weighting contest where someone who can afford it, can buy his way to #1. JMHO. Steve
  • Options
    Basically, because their not basic!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options

<< <i> It is NOT about having the highest "score" in an arbitrary weighting contest where someone who can afford it, can buy his way to #1. >>

Yes it is!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of us find varieties fascinating, but others of us have little interest in them. A complete date/mint mark series without varieties constitutes a lgeitimately complete set in the mind of this latter group (which includes me!).
  • Options
    Still makes no sense - if I want to register in the IHC basic set a 1873 S1 65RB as a coin I prefer to own, and you blow me away with (registry points from) a generic 1873 65R at 20% the price, what's the harm??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it an interesting concept that an 1876-CC Double Die Reverse trade $, for example, cannot be used to satisfy the date and mintmark slot in the Registry. After all, it was minted in 1876 at the Carson City mint and reported in the trade dollar mintage figure.......
  • Options
    Variety sets are for the more experienced collector and lets the new collector comete with others of same experience level.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just something that needs to be coded in. Not sure how easy it would be.

In the basic Ike set, you can include any of the three types for the 1972. Ironcially, you can include an error (one submitted under the error service) in the basic sets. It has the same coin number, just an E prefix.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Just list the year and/or major design and let the collector decide. As it is, varieties are designated in the basic set, for instance, in the IHC's:

1860 rounded bust instead of pointed bust
    1865 fancy 5 instead of plain 5
    1873 open 3 instead of closed 3.

Time to quit specifying the preferred variety and make the basic set just that.....basic!