Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

anybody here know if you can get cards reholdered without a membership?

Need some cards reholdered, but I don't have a membership. Also does anybody know if PSA is coming out with a new holder, because if they are I might as well just hold off until they do? Thanks!
Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!

Comments

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Looks like you need to be a member to submit cards through the mail for reholder.
    Don't think you need to be a member to submit at a show, plus you'd eliminate the shipping charges both ways.

Also, don't look for PSA to announce that "in so many months, a new holder will be available".
    That would put a damper on current submissions.
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Bummer, I don't submit cards to them anymore because I can just pick them up cheaper on ebay. So there's really no need for a membership. I don't know why they would insist on a membership for reholdering, well, I know why, Money, but what about someone like me who only buys on ebay and can't even get the scratched up cases reholdered? Geez, has the whole world turned greedy? I just don't understand why you have to pay them just for the privilege of having to pay them again for they're service. I mean, you don't have a toll booth set up in front of wal-mart where you have to pay to enter so you can shop!image
  • Options
    there is a fee at SAMS CLUB though. And I agree with you the membership requirement is a pain. But hey you get a free book!

James
    x
  • Options
    Yes, there is a fee at Sams club, but for the fee you can purchase goods much cheaper. Fine, you know what, keep the membership fee, no problem. But what about the guy who dreams about having a perfect condition of his favorite card from childhood, so he goes and spends say $2,000.00 on a psa 10 of whatever, and it arrives with a huge, deep scratch right down the center of the case, which severly takes away from the eye appeal of his favorite card. So he calls up PSA and they say, "sure, we'll reholder it for you, you just have to pay a $99 membership fee, $5.00 to reholder it, and $17.50 to ship it back to you."

I just think it's stupid!
  • Options
    But that is the joy of capitalism (sp?)
  • Options

<< <i>Need some cards reholdered, but I don't have a membership. Also does anybody know if PSA is coming out with a new holder, because if they are I might as well just hold off until they do? Thanks! >>

Yes, you can send cards (just) for reholdering. This is according to the email I got from Richard Verdugo when I asked. You have to pay for return shipping. Membership is required for grading cards (not sure if this includes show submissions and through PSA dealer).

2323, since they're going to crack those holders/cases, before you send your cards inspect them carefully esp. if the cards are high $$. You'll never know what might happen to your cards.
    They damage my card 2x (one of the reason I did not join) when i submitted them for grading. I send those cards (seaprate ocassions). One got a dent. After taking the plastic debris off the card (took 2 trips to PSA to remove it).
    Other card got surface scratches and notified them right away. Guy named Ritchie told me to sent it back to him so that they can trace the grading history whoever is resposible for those scratches. They didn't do anything and held this and another card (just for reholdering --> they mislaballed this one) for over a month. I called and that's the time they sent back the cards. One was reholdered and the damage card was untouched (I mean no note or explanation of who's responsible for the damage). I got pissed and called 2x and was promise that Ritchie, who I address the card to, will call me back and he never did. He just let the cards there sitting for 30+ days. I wasted my money shipping those cards and never even got any compensation from them. Maybe if I'm a bigtime submitter I will get extra special attention.

If you join and don't have anything to submit for that year you are forced to turn in some cards before your membership expires because you paid at least $99 for those submission coupons. I don't read their magazine. I sometimes subscribe to pop report for $5. This is the other reason why I did not join.
    RIP Snow
  • Options
    Snowball- Geez, after hearing that story I don't even want to reholder. But then I'm stuck with scratched up cases. Lose-Lose either way!image
  • Options
    And another thing, you would at least think the guy cracking them out of the holders could at least blow on the card or something to get the plastic debris of the card instead of sealing it up in the new holder and making a dent in the card. I actually have a card that I had graded myself that has a pretty big plastic chunk in it. Thought they had at least two people inspecting the cards before they get shipped out?image
  • Options
    Couldn't you submit them to PSA via an authorized dealer? Just a thought. Happy holidays.image

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    yeah, in another state maybe, every card shop within 150 miles of me thinks that PSA is evil. (example that really happened)

2323- Hello, do you have any PSA graded cards?

card shop- A few, trying to get rid of them!

2323- Why?

card shop- Because I've submitted some cards to them and they all came back 7's & 8's, and I can't sell them. I think PSA switches the cards with others that aren't as good.

2323- Oh, I don't think they would do that.

card shop- I'm not the only one that thinks that!

2323- Well, anyway, what do you got in a psa 10?

card shop- I have this Grant Hill Finest rookie card, beckett says it's worth $170.00, I'll take $165.00 for it!

2323- Bye, have a good day.image

And thats probably the card shop that accepts them the most.

Soooo, I'm pretty much on my own here.

• Options

I'll send it in on my next submission if you're interested - probably in 3 weeks or so.

Email me if you'd like.

JEB.
  • Options

<< <i>And another thing, you would at least think the guy cracking them out of the holders could at least blow on the card or something to get the plastic debris of the card instead of sealing it up in the new holder and making a dent in the card. I actually have a card that I had graded myself that has a pretty big plastic chunk in it. Thought they had at least two people inspecting the cards before they get shipped out?image >>

They didn't blew off the hard plastic debris on my card. Maybe if you're a bigtime member you get special attention. I just submitted 10 at the most (the $10 grading). I forgot to tell you that the one they reholdered (together with the scratch card). The holder has a surface scratch a little deep about half. I don't know if I can polish/buff the surface. I tried buffing with a cloth but didn't get any better. I didn't bother sending it back anymore because shipping is expensive and might mess up my $200 card.

Yeah I heard 2-3 graders will inspect the card and inspect it again after slabbing for final approval. I don't believe this anymore.

RIP Snow
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Could someone here explain to me what you get for $99 to become a PSA member. On the surface it sounds like a lot of money to pay up front. Not everyone that does business with a company is going to deal in bulk. To me, it is like shutting out a good portion of your new customer base.

Someone said you get a book. That's all? What else is there?
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

<< <i>Could someone here explain to me what you get for $99 to become a PSA member. On the surface it sounds like a lot of money to pay up front. Not everyone that does business with a company is going to deal in bulk. To me, it is like shutting out a good portion of your new customer base.

Someone said you get a book. That's all? What else is there? >>

You've been a board member for a few months now, so I would suggest that you already know the answers to your questions and just want to stir the pot.

If I'm wrong, use the PSA link at the top of the page and read all about it.

Skip
    I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options

A scratch on the plastic holder is not a good reason to get a card reholdered.

Pick up a product called : Novus 2 fine scratch remover
    One 8 oz container will last a lifetime and easily gets rid of scratches on holders.

Got mine mail order through a google search,
    but they also have a toll free number so you can find the nearest distributor : 800 - 548 - 6872

Pix of 'My Kids'

• Options
    I saw Novus for sale last week at a Plastic Supply company when I was picking up some sheets of Lexan. You might see if you have a local plastic supplier.

JEB.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, there is a fee at Sams club, but for the fee you can purchase goods much cheaper. >>

That is not actually true, but
    IS what they want you to believe!

You should ALWAYS check around
    and compare their prices,
    and factor in the quantity...
    On many occasions I have
    found the exact same things being
    sold for the same price or CHEAPER
    at other stores...
    INCLUDING WAL-MART!

Do not just Assume that they really
    are giving you the "lowest price"
    or you are the sucker!

imageimage
  • Options
    Or I could just get it on ebay, they have a whole bunch of auctions for the stuff. Thanks for the tip, I've never heard of it before, I'm gonna get some though.
  • Options
    Wolfbear- Thanks for the info. about novus 2. I just received some from an auction I won on ebay, I couldn't believe it. Works great! I took one holder that was all scratched up, never thought it would work, put the stuff on, rubbed it around for a while, and tah-dah, no more scratches. Already did about 7 holders.

If scratches drive you crazy like they drive me crazy, get this stuff, I don't know how, but it works and it works very good.image
  • Options
    And my question has been answered on the Q & A forum, you do not have to have a membership to get cards reholdered!image
  • Options

2323 - Good to hear you're happy with the Novus 2.

I find the best results on plastic slabs if you put it on,
    rub it in for a few seconds with a cloth, then set it aside for a few minutes.

Then go back and rub the cloth over it AFTER the goop has dried,
    just like you would if you were waxing a floor, or a car.

Hope this isn't considered slab doctoring ... image

Pix of 'My Kids'

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Novus 2 sounds like a product I should get instead of dealing with the PO and PSA. If its for plastics, it might work well on convertible top rear windows which are no glass, but plastic in some models.

This is holder doctoring, but its OK. We want holders that look presentable. Besides, a collector buys the card, not the holder. As long as the card is fine, that's the important thing.

By the way, what are the long term effects of this goop on the holder. Can the goop possibly eat away the plastic over time and come in contact with the card?
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    I don't know if there are any long term effects, I wouldn't think so. You sure cant tell anything that anything was put on it. Also I got Novus 1 which is a plastic shine, and that really makes the holder look nice after you get the scratches out with novus 2. Didn't much care for novus 3 though, thats a deep scratch remover. I used it one a holder that had a deep scratch, and it made the scratch a little better, but it left a lot of small, fine scratches. But then I just used novus 2 to take them out. Good stuff. Can get it cheap on ebay too. Paid about #13.50 for the three bottles and some cloths. Duetsh, I'll watch them and see if there are any long term effects, I doubt there will be, but I'll let you know if I see anything. image
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing this story. You inadvertantly advertised for Novus. Word of mouth is a very powerful advertising tool. I would not trust a commercial, but since you are letting us know your honest experience that this stuff really works, then I am sold.
    I will look for it on ebay. I have no idea where a plastic store can be found in my area anyway.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee