Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

*** FUN Commems ***

Assuming that you have received your Platinum Night (with the FUN 2004) catalog, on pg. 262, lot #2244, there is a very unusual silver commem.
This Pan-Pac is an excellent example of the type of "look and feel" I required from my commems.
This particular Pan-Pac is fantastic. Technically, it's simply exquisite. Equally unusual, the color scheme is no doubt original, and the colors are just spectacular. The obverse shimmers and is gorgous. The reverse is stunning as the colors jump out as you tilt the coin.
Previous to the Pan-Pac on page 262, lot 2243, is the Long Island that displays georgousness and technical grade perfection.
It's a Monster!.
If you like commems, I really hope that you have some time to view these beauties in person at the FUN show. The pix are very good, but some coins, like that Pan-Pac, really have to be seen in person to be fully appreciated.

Ps. If you like to talk about the...

Columbia, technically perfect for the grade, spectacular...
Grant w/, Our Lady says "nicest ever"...
Missouri 2x4, they don't come this nice...
Wisconsin, original, yes, real original, with beautiful quality...
Rhode Island, the "s" mints do not ever get this nice...
Alabama, unusually technically perfect for the grade...
California, my favorite coin...
Hudson, very rare this nice...
Gettysburg, absolutely no reason it's not an 8, truely incredible coin...
Long Island, unusually real, true, unquestionable color scheme...
Albany, soft and beautiful coloring...
and the Layfayette, my second favorite. Now this is a beautifully toned turn-of-the-century rarity...
or some of the others.

Comments

• Options
    pictures
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    The best coin pictures I have ever seen in any coin auction catalog ever,
    are in Heritage's 2004 Platinum Night catalog. If you can't get to the FUN,
    please get a copy.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve: You are WAY too modest in your assessement of your coins in the FUN sale. image

FIRST OFF - THE FACT THAT HERITAGE SELECTED 10 OF THE 13 COMMEMS IN THE PLATINUM SALE TO BE REPRESENTED FROM YOUR 46 COIN CONSIGNMENT SAYS IT ALL! There are something like 411 other Silver Commems in the regular Signature sale - again just 3 of the "Platinum" Silver Commem coins are not yours!!

I have seen all (10) of your Platinum night Commem coins and, overall, the coins are incredible. I only wish my personal dedicated collector funds were more plentiful right now, as I would have tried to buy a few of these from you privately before you ever elected to consign them to Heritage image

Lot 2233- The Lafayette in PCGS-MS67. One of just 5 PCGS-MS67 coins out there. Nice color coin - what a great and important rarity in the Commem series.

Lot 2234 - The one and only Albany ever graded PCGS-MS68!! Fantastic original coin. Only one person out there can own the Albany in PCGS-MS68 and here is the coin.

Lot 2237- The California in PCGS-MS68. As Heritage said- OUTRAGEOUS. I remember when I assisted you in buying this coin many years ago. I always hoped to be able to buy the coin from you if your set was ever broken up. I still might image

Lot 2238 - Columbia PCGS-MS68 - A perfect example of the technical perfection Steve Heller sought in his coins.

Lot 2240 - 1893 Columbian PCGS-MS67. Just an exceptional coin. I was fortunate enough to purchase the blast white 1892 Columbian from Steve when he went from 144 pcs. down to 50. As incredible as my blast white 1892 Columbian is, hands down, I can see why you elected to keep this coin. Wow!!

Lot 2241 - Grant with Star (PCGS-MS67). I remember when I assisted you in buying this coin. Both of the pop 2/0 Grant with Star coins in PCGS-MS67 were made available to me. As I recall, Laura's coin was priced a bit higher than the other specimen. But, Laura essentially told me this was the nicest Grant with Star she had ever seen and after I compared the (2) coins I also agreed. Impeccable surfaces, as Heritage mentioned. What a coin!!

Lot 2242 - Hudson PCGS-MS67. What a great rarity!!

Lot 2243 - Long Island PCGS-MS67 - IMHO, I would not be surprised to see this coin in an MS68 holder down the road. The coin is incredible, It may likely sell at a near record level for the assigned grade.

Lot 2244 - Pan Pac PCGS-MS67 - Technically incredible!! Over the years, Steve acquired (2) of these in MS67, one nicer than the next. He selected the coin he wanted for his final collection and I bought the other coin. As you know, it is so beautiful a design - my wife would not permit me to sell off the Pan Pac I bought from Steve when I was looking for coins to possible sell recently to raise money for some patterns that became available. And, Steve kept the better coin!!

Lot 2245 - Sesqui in PCGS-MS66. PROBABLY MY FAVORITE COIN IN THE COMMEM SALE. This may or may not be the Shepherd coin! I would not be terribly surprised if this coin upgraded down the road. Heritage suggests the coin might qualify for Condition Census and if there is a nicer Sesqui out there, please bring it to the auction room on 1/7 when this coin gets auctioned off because I would to see it. Hey, everyone has opinions - mine is this is Steve's coolest coin in the sale.

I would be happy to discuss Steve's other 36 coins in the regular Signature sale if enough board members would like me to. Otherwise, just PM me and I will be happy to steer you to some of the coolest Commems in the Signature sale.

STEVE- BEST OF LUCK - just watch what a few of your Commems bring in Orlando!!! image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    The pop on that California has been two for a very long time until just recently. I was able to have that original "second" California pcgs ms68 and passed. I only kicked myself because I hadn't the money for the investment value of the second, but the one I kept was considerably more appealing to me. The California design is one of the best, and my favorite, and it is very special to me (I enthusiastically polished my mom's circulated Cal. commem when I very young). image
  • Options
    Steve: I just noticed you listed the CA as your favorite coin. It is certainly in my top 5 - when you carefully examine the coin, I believe you do not leave the examination thinking "Boy - I wish I had bought this coin in the MS67 holder last month and upgraded it myself". I left thinking - "Why cant' this coin be an MS69 again? OK perhaps the reverse of the coin is a bit too mottled toned without the sizzle necessary for that grade - but, man is it nice" image

Incidently, I recently saw the PCGS-MS69 Boone which PCGS just slabbed as its first MS69 silver Commem graded in a very, very long time. The coin PERFORMS FOR YOU AND YOU "SIZZLE" JUST STARING AT IT. I told the owner it was my most favorite Commem in the collection when it was sitting in the "lowly" PCGS-MS68 holder. If any silver Commem deserved an MS69 for eye appeal, it was that coin. It will be on display at FUN - you'll have no problem locating it on the bourse floor image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Mine being an ms 68.8 or 68.9 or whatever... This is why I "passed" on the second. If it had "all been there" like mine, I couldn't have passed it up. But being my favorite (and knowing the potential value), I should have snapped it up. 20/20 hindsight... image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard of prozac, not sure what it is for though. I am sure it is a drug, that is widely advertised but you need a prescription, which requires going to a doctor which I don't see myself doing any time soon.

If this thread is not about the set owned by the author of this thread then I will edit my post.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    I was a bit hesitant when asked.... but I have offered a forum to discuss these coins with some very nice pix,
    assuming you have received your catalog.
    In the past years, I haven't been able to post pix, like I would have liked....
    so here are the coins with pix.
    They are among many beauts in the sale... image
  • Options
    Mitch says "...my wife would not permit me to sell off the Pan Pac I bought from Steve when I was looking for coins to possible sell recently..."

Now there is a wife! image

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have heard of prozac, not sure what it is for though. I am sure it is a drug, that is widely advertised but you need a prescription, which requires going to a doctor which I don't see myself doing any time soon. If this thread is not about the set owned by the author of this thread then I will edit my post. >>

This, along with Show Reports are my favorite types of Threads to read.
    dbldie55: What is yours?

peacockcoins

• Options
    Those sure are beautiful commems! Neat pictures and flattering descriptions. I wish I were going to Florida, I would certainly try to get a look at a few of those in person. Some other coins too, that catalogue is full of neat stuff!
  • Options
    Isn't it just the best photography of any catalog yet? All those coins in the P-night sale are fantastic. That's going to be quite a night.
  • Options
    Steve- You built a wonderful set of Commems and should be very proud of your accomplishment. I hope to add a few of your coins to my collection. Good luck on the sale.
    David Schweitz
  • Options
    Thank you, Dave.
  • Options
    "Mitch says "...my wife would not permit me to sell off the Pan Pac I bought from Steve when I was looking for coins to possible sell recently..." "Now there is a wife!"

Ken: This rarely occurs in nature image I was frankly a bit stunned. Since I am not an ultra serious Commem collector, I figured I would get the usual "Of course you should sell that coin" reply from the Ms., especially since I was targeting other coins for my collections requiring additional cash outlays. Instead, she vetoed the sale of ANY of the small pile of Commems. I was considering selling. No problem I thought - I still have money left to borrow on the credit line against the house image As the Moody Blues once said "Isn't life strange".

Wondercoin
  • Options
    David..which few of those coins do you hope to add..(humor) and happy holidays guys..
    bruce scher
  • Options
    Bruce- Curious are you? Any three coins in particular that you may be interested in? You have my phone number.
    David Schweitz
  • Options
    A few people have asked me about the Heller Commems, so I thought I would supplement my original post with a discussion of a few other coins in the Heritage Fun sale.

1. Lot 9321: Isabella PCGS-MS67 - Nice example. Not ugly dark toned like so many specimens.

2. Lot 9330: Alabama PCGS-MS66- Fantastic quality coin. This coin is knocking on the door of the next highest grade I believe, where it is currently pop 0!! CHECK THIS COIN OUT!!

3. Lot 9383: Bridgeport PCGS-MS67 - Very PQ++ specimen. Don't miss this coin.

4. Lot 9396: Cinncinnati: PCGS-MS67 POP 4/0. Great quality for the grade. One of the nicer Commems in the Signature sale. Make a note to check this coin out.

5. Lot 9442: Gettysburg: PCGS-MS67. Super PQ coin knocking on the door of the next highest grade!! This Commem only has 2 coins graded higher (MS68). This would be a HUGE potential upgrade. Don't miss checking out this coin!!

6. Lot 9453: Hawaiian PCGS-MS66 - Very, very solid. Deserving of "platinum sale" status I believe. Keep an eye on this one.

7. Lot 9501: Missouri 2x4 PCGS-MS66: A no question "platinum sale" quality coin. Great rarity and nice quality as well. Steve upgraded this slot a year or two ago and the one he upgraded was decent (I bought it). This coin is much nicer though and just one of 11 coins ever graded this high. WOW!

8. Lot 9510: Monroe PCGS-MS66- Always nice to pick up a tough Monroe in MS66.

9. Lot 9632: Pilgrim (1921) PCGS-MS66 - POP 9/0 and very nice!! This coin does not come around very often - make sure to check it out.

10. Lot 9635: Rhode Island (S Mint) PCGS-MS67. HOLY COW! Rhode Island's seldom come looking like this - ESPECIALLY THE KEY DATE "S" MINT!! As Heritage states "A one of a kind" coin!! Great color, especially the reverse. POP 9/0. Just 9 sets of Rhode Island in PCGS-MS67 can ever be assembled because of the low pop "s" mint and if there is a nicer "s" mint RI in PCGS-MS67, I would be very surprised!! A jewel!!

11. Lot 9642: Robinson PCGS-MS67. Great quality. Keep this coin in mind.

12. Lot 9667: Stone Mountain PCGS-MS67. Nice coin.

13. Lot 9686: Vancouver PCGS-MS67. Nice coin.

14. Lot 9688: Vermont PCGS-MS67. Nice coin. What an underrated Commem. Check out the price these "pop tops" sell for - in some cases, 1/5 of a Lincoln cent for the same pop!

15. Lot 9712: Wisconsin PCGS-MS68 - WOW! Pop 10/0 and as Heritage states - "nearly flawless". Just a great original specimen.

There were many other neat coins in the set, but, these additional (15) come to mind. I hope you take the time to carefully examine these coins, as Steve really put a great deal of effort into assembling a collection with all of these jewels in it image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    This seems more appropriate for the buy, sell, trade forum, only because the originating author happens to own the coins discussed. I'd feel better if that had been disclosed up front.

It is a nice catalog. Something for everyone on Platinum night -- everyone with big bucks. image

The one coin that really jumped out was lot 2248, which I do not own image and which I suspect is probably the very best of the three 65s of the Hawaiian Dollars.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    I probably should have mentioned it again, but this thread, and the discussion of the sale was part of a running discussion, and appropriate to the reg. forum, but thanks for the comments.
    Heritage's Platinum Night is very high-end, a welcome addition to HNAI's auction schedule. Even the catalog is high-end... image
  • Options
    I was speaking with Heritage today and they informed me that a special color catalog of just the roughly 46 or so Heller Commems has been prepared and will be made available at the lot viewing tables at FUN. Heritage has really done a marvelous job with the Heller Commems.

Anyone that can not attend the show but wants a copy of the Heller Commem catalog can PM me and I'll try to pick up extra copies in Orlando to mail out upon my return from FUN. image

Wondercoin

Wondercoin
  • Options
    I expected quite a lot from Heritage, and they have performed excellently, beyond my expectations.
    The catalog(s) and pix are phenomenal, the best the community has seen so far.
    Thank you Larry.
  • Options
    I see the Commems are starting to heat up a bit as well. With "the juice", the Lafayette is already at $58,000, the Albany is at $23,000, the Grant with Star is at $35,000+ and the Hudson and Columbian are approaching $10k to name a couple. Several of the auctions have close to a half dozen different bidders as well, which is interesting. image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    FROM ANOTHER THREAD, BUT OF INTEREST HERE:

I spoke with Larry Shepherd today at length concerning the PCGS-MS66 Sesqui in the Heritage sale.

Back in 1987, Larry purchased (2) spectacular Sesquis and a Monroe with similar color schemes. One Sesqui was slightly darker than the other, but, they were both very similar and wonderful coins (technically a couple of the cleanest Sesquis out there). Larry had one pedigreed and it sold in 1991 (lot #85 in his sale, as Rainbowquarters mentions). The other Sesqui Larry had placed with a customer previously, around 1988. Roughly five years ago, the pedigreed Sesqui (from the 1991 sale) came up for auction and Larry missed an opportunity to bid on it. This is around the same time Steve bought his Sesqui - the one in the Heritage sale. It would have been understandable that the Shepherd pedigree may have been removed from the coin at any point someone tried to upgrade it. What is holding Larry back from saying he is totally sure the Heritage coin is his former pedigree coin is the fact that Steve's looks closer to the (slightly darker) color of the one sold around 1988. Larry has detailed photos of both of the original Sesquis and he plans on bringing the photos to FUN to confirm which coin the Heritage coin is (or is not).

Incidently, when I discussed the $33k sales price on the 1991 Sesqui, Larry pointed out to me that at one point prior to that, the sight-unseen buy price on a PCGS-MS66 Sesqui was around $55k, as Silver Commems actually had peaked out in 1988!!

PCGS had actually taken the pictures of the Shepherd coins, which Superior borrowed for their sale of the coins. Larry kept the original photos and produced actual prints of each coin in a manner that came as close to reality of color as was possible at that time. Larry did point out that photographing coins in 1991 was similar to driving a "Model T" car.

Steve - you have an interesting coin there, regardless of which coin it is!!

Wondercoin