Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1909 VDB DDO gets new PCGS #

All Lincoln Cent Double Die Obverse Collectors as well as set registry participants:

PCGS has issued the new # which is 82425 to 1909 VDB DDO Lincoln cents.It is only for the Breen 2053 variety which is easily seen with a 3x loup.This variety will be listed in the set registry in a short time.

Stewart

Anyone with this variety should send the coins into PCGS for proper attribution and PCGS #

Comments

• Options
    Stewart - How did you get them to recognize this variety?
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Son of a Gunk - I just got my ms 67 coffin holder crossed into a blue label normal holder.I also had a ms 66 red

Clakamas - This variety was already registered.The problems were they were either called errors or the coin # was the same as the 1909 VDB non DDO.

stewart
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭
    Here's a question. The Regency holder does not have a coin number on it. Can PCGS just change the designation in its database for that particular cert number and thus allow that coin to remain in the Regency holder yet still show up right in the Registry?

WH

• Options
    Wayne

I doubt it

Stewart
  • Options
    Stewart - I have an MS67RD 1939 DDO along with an MS66RD 1939 DDO, both, as you point out are called mint errors by PCGS and show up in the POPS as plain jane 39 Lincolns. I wanted to start a lobbying effort into getting a coin # for the coins. That is why I was wondering how you were able to get it done.

Brian
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Stewart,

I would also be happy to hear anything you are willing to share about the process of recognizing new varieties as their own coin.

I did hesitate a bit to post right after clackamas and firmly assert the same statement, though, as I thought it might cause others to think I was attacking someone or being an agitator. I just wanted to make it clear that I am not attempting to do either, but am just trying to stimulate discussion and gain new knowledge.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would also like to know how this process works.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

You need to show the variety to David Hall or send it in for a Presidential review.

I think varieties like the 1939 DDO,1927,1946 S/D are almost invisible.If you look a a coin long enough you can imagine almost anything.A little like grading,if you own a coin a cameo becomes a deep cameo,an ms 64 becomes an ms 65 etc.etc
    I doubt RPM's will be in the registry either as they are infintesimal.

Stewart

My personal lobbying for the 1909 VDB DDO is because it is visible with the naked eye,first year of issue as well as highly collectible.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Stewart, I agree with what you say concerning recognition of varieties (at least within the Lincoln cent series). The differences should be evident to the naked eye to be recognized in the PCGS registry. That does not mean that other coins are not collectible. If you like it, buy it. Have a great holiday. Steveimage
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

There has been some fairly heavy lobbying for a Heavy Motto designation on the 1934 quarter, which can also be seen by the naked eye, but PCGS is giving no quarter on the issue (pun intended).

Doug
  • Options
    hEY gUYS,

The 1909 VDB DDO has been added to the Lincoln Cents with Varieties set registry.It is coin # 1B in the series and the PCGS coin # is 82425. It is now a required coin.
    Gentlemen.......Update Your Sets

Stewart
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    Stewart, how many "different" 1909 VDB DDO are there and which ones does PCGS "acknowledge"?
  • Options
    SOG

I believe there are two Fs or Cherry Pickers 1909 DDO Lincolns.

PCGS is only recognizing FS # 012 or Breen #2053.The doubling is plainly evident on the date and the RTY of Liberty.This coin has a 4 star rating in the cherry pickers book,has a URS rating of 13 and is easily obtainable uncirculated with full red color.

Stewart
  • Options
    Stewart etal,

The pops currently (as of 09-Jan) are 1 RD MS66 and 1 RD MS67. I was surprised to see Mike's piece go for 5k (just didn't think it would go that high). Is this a rarer beast in this grade? price was on target or moon money? Anyone have any thoughts?

Rich