Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

LINCOLN MATTE CENTS-DIES & MINTAGE ISSUES

This thread is written for those who have coins in the Lincoln Matte Proof Registry set or who would like to in the future.

In an other thread on the coin forum, Doug Wright Jr. (DMWJR) noted that there was more than one die pair used on some of the years that Matte Proof Lincoln cents were made. (1909-1916) He observed that the 1909VDB had 2 obverse dies and 3 reverse dies and quoted this information from the "Authoritative Reference on Lincoln Cents" (1996) by John Wexler and Kevin Flynn. In that book, Kevin Flynn explains his theories on Lincoln Matte proof dies and mintages. As a result of Flynn's writing, the Red Book changed the quanties of Lincoln Matte proof cents reported for 1909 thru 1912.

After reading most books on this subject including David Lange's 1996 "Complete Guide to the Lincoln Cent" and Leonard Albrecht's article and pictures on the diagnostics of Matte Proof Lincolns reported in the ANA Numismatist in 1983 and in the subsequent "Counterfeit Detection, Volume II, I have come to question some of Kevin Flynn's information. I particularly question his assumption that 1,194 be the mintage for 1909VDB Matte Proofs rather than the traditional 420. I also question his assumption that there were 2 obverse dies and 3 reverse dies used in the 1909VDB Matte Proofs rather than the 1 single die pair that Leonard Albrecht reported in 1983.

I know there are some people on this board who have had the opportunity to look at many high grade Matte Proof Lincoln cents. (are you reading Stewart?) I would very much like to get some opinions from the experts who are familiar with Kevin Flynn's published comments and are also familiar with the Lincoln Matte proof history regarding dies and mintages.

For example, the mint sold what was called a "minor proof set" thru 1912 which included the penny and nickel only. If the reported quantities of proof coins are based on what is sold, Flynn's numbers don't match up. For the 1909VDB Matte proof, if there are diagnostics other than Albrecht's three key ones that support Kevin Flynn's second obverse die or his second and third reverse die diagnostics, has any grading service slabbed such a coin?

I realize this may be too technical for most, but I believe Doug and I and perhaps others would like to learn more. Your comments are appreciated. Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve

I've seen matte as well as satin finish 1909 VDB proof Lincoln cents.I've also seen fakes.I've also seen well struck mint state coins withsquare edges.I've met Kevin Flynn but he has never seen my coins.

Stewart
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve, thanks for posting the additional information. I will post a more detailed response tonight.

Doug