Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you seen the interesting proof pattern Standing Liberty Quarter at Heritage?

There's a neat story behind it, too! Check out the scratches over the "L" in Liberty...

1916 25C PR65 (pattern)

Dan

Comments

• Options
    So, I assume the price history provided is meaningless since this is a unique pattern and the other items are simply the same series/date? Patterns have always dumbfounded me! How in the h*ll do you appraise these? Are we always sure of the attribution? These things remain a mystery to me in very many ways.

Neat coin though!!

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice image.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Needs a good dip. image
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now if that coin doesn't fit the definition of "altered surfaces" I don't know what does!image I guess NGC made an exception due to the "official" nature of the alteration. Kinda looks like a six figure SLQ to me. That coin was offered at auction about 10 years back but I don't think it met the consignors (Clines) reserve. I remember being outraged that NGC would certify a "damaged" coin and grade it proof 65 to boot. I have mellowed since then and now I don't have a problem with the coin or its grade. Now I wish I could afford to buy it.

Fantastic piece of Numismatic history!
  • Options
    I believe it is reserved at around $150,000 and my guess is that it will not sell at that level.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Why are you selling it? image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it is reserved at around $150,000 and my guess is that it will not sell at that level.

At 100K, it would definitely sell. image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    So if place a joke bid at $130k I will be safe?
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jon- It sure seems like it ought to be worth every bit of 150k. Say somebody better call the guy thats doing the complete set of patterns. I think he might need that coin?image
  • Options
    I like itimage

Of course, it is not PF65. The siginifcance and value of the coin are not based on the grade, obviously, but I still think it's silly for NGC to call it 65.

imageimage

Looks like someone could have used a little Goo-Gone on this slab!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting reading!
    It would be neat to own both the coin and the letter about the coin!
  • Options
    It will probably get NCS'ed and most will like it better then, maybe even me.
  • Options
    OK, I was off by just a little. With the reserve kicked in the level has now been set at $511,750 including buyer's premium. That's likely to be a hefty buyback fee paid by the owner on that one! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file