Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Registry Set Logic?

Is the registry a good thing for the hobby? Is it great for the short-term (helping the investor) or is it going to kill it medium-term and then cause a correction in the long-term (hurting the collector)? I was just looking at eBay to purchase a group of mint coins for my children's birth years. While doing this, I noticed that a coin in MS-68 pop 70-80 with 0 higher sells for $200-250... while an MS-68 pop 30-50 with 1-2 higher sells for less than $100. Does this make any sense? Total population in 68/69 is less than a top pop coin selling for 2-2.5 times as much!?
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Purchase what you enjoy, and if you don't worry about getting the best, then prices seem to be fine. My set of Mercury dimes only has one pop top, and that is a non-fb, so the price was very reasonable.

I don't think this hurts in the long run at all. Coins like the stock market go up and down in value. If you don't have to be the first person to get the highest grade out there some of these prices settle down as more and more coins come on the market. You know the supply and demand factor.

Sould I mention that 63--oh, nevermind?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay