Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Ok, I bought it...

Yes, the pop 1/0 1963-D PCGS MS66 (non-FS) nickel that most everyone here agreed upon as overgraded:

Link

I agree with the sentiments here that the coin, from this photo, would appear to be optimistically
graded, and I certainly would have rather purchased it as a pop 20-something MS65 for much less! image

However, obviously the toning is superb (and there is little doubt that it helped the grade at PCGS).
In my experience, it is tough to find Jeffersons with great toning that are also free of carbon/other
spots. This coin appears to be fairly clean in that regard. The coin is nicely toned on both the
obverse and reverse - another positive aspect.

I do know that the few "monster" toned Jeffersons I own have provided me with the most
satisfaction and pure pleasure in owning. They are the ones that I will invariably pull out to look
at or show. I have no doubt that this coin, from my birth year image, will be among my favorites
despite the blemishes.

So, we'll see what the coin looks like when it arrives. Perhaps the nicks on the cheek and nose
were exaggerated by the lighting angles it took to image the color??? Maybe I'll send it in for
a grade review...wonder how that might turn out???

Any thoughts?

Ken

P.S. It does match up well with my icon coin (50-D 66FS) shown below:

Comments

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I like it - I watched it sit at $506 for the last few days and wondered if it would get a last hour bump

I think people saying it is overgraded, are being pessimisstic - the picture is HUGE compared to the actual coin - the nick on the face maybe very shallow and not show up well (but did at this angle for the shot) - I am sure the luster is blazing - and those colors -wow

Frattlaw really screwed up when he didn't buy the entire book or top coins - oh well, he was probably looking for Peace dollars
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. It sounds like this coin will bring much satisfaction and enjoyment to you. (I bet you'll also find this has much more luster than greattoning's photo is showing and because of this, worthy of the grade.)

peacockcoins

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken: Congratulations on your purchase. You summed up your reasons for buying the coin nicely. Please send me a PM letting me know your honest assessment of the specimen, if you remember to do so.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I think we are all entitled to spend our money how we chose. I'm glad you are happy with your purchase. I'm sure it will bring you pleasure.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • No offense to Jefferson collectors (as a collector of a much-maligned series myself), but Jeffersons need all the help they can get. image More color the better! Congrats on your purchase.

I sold this one from my personal collection and endured a barrage of criticism (across the street) during the auction about its MS66 FS grade:

The mark on the jaw is exaggerated in the photo. The buyer was a happy camper.
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken,
    Beautiful coin, nothing here to be ashamed of image

• mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I like it. The fields are very clean, great color.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Ken...great coin. Yes, us Jefferson collectors got alittle bit of attention with it. I think that makes your set 100% complete...is that correct? And best of all........A non Full Step coin got alot of attention.

NICKEL TRIUMPH.....NO STEPPERS

Merry Christmas........

Edit: Sorry....that is Krispy's set that needed the coin. I see he was a player too.
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful Jeff!image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • as long as YOU are happy with your coin who cares what ANYONE else thinks.

enjoy your coin.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new grading is eye appeal, luster, eye appeal, luster, then deduct as necessary for hits and hairlines. Look at what they're picking apart on the Coin Forum:

• Wow....Tradedollarnut. That's a great Nickel.
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Thanks guys...Yes, I bought it because I liked the coin despite the negative "tone"
    of the comments regarding the assigned grade. MS Jeffersons with color of this
    caliber are few and far between, and I felt it was worth stepping up for. Hopefully,
    I'll feel the same once I have it in hand! image

I'm wondering if any of the pre-auction-close comments here kept any bidders out
    of the race, and if so, I'm grateful for the "bad press" image As much money as this
    non-FS nickel went for, my bid was somewhat higher than the final price. I was
    relieved when my bid was accepted at the next increment and held until the end
    as it is not fun to compete at auction with Mitch on a coin you'd like to own!

TDN, I haven't yet read the thread regarding the 1912 nickel shown, but it sure looks
    great from here!

Ken

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken: It is difficult to compete for color coins on ebay relying on a photo, not to mention the hassle of returning unwanted coins and paying restocking charges. I suspect, if I would have seen the coin in person, my bid would not have been $506 (it would have been much higher or much lower). Dick does a good job overall selling board members' consigned coins, so I suspect you will be happy with the coin.

But, as has been discussed here many times, the price of non-designated coins is generally depressed in most of the 20th century series, whether we are discussing RB Lincolns, non-FS Jeffs, non-band Roosies or Mercs, non-FBL Franklins. One plus for the subject nickel though is an MS65FS of that date will set you back many thousands of dollars - that pretty 66 is a nice alternative for around $500 image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Mitch - I couldn't agree more with your observations. Another plus, is the great photo
    work it comes with...my skills in that area are far from honed and it would take a lot of
    my time to come up with pictures not half as good (as evidenced by my work on the
    50-D above!) image

Ken
  • I think it's a great looking coin!